looking for a high end laptop

johben

Hi all i'm looking for a 15.6" full hd i7 2630 8 gig ram ssd+data drive with at least a 6970m card. testimonials look good so will talk to PC staff in the am. Will this config run most games etc at high ish res...not looking for perfect just playable and looking good. using it for entertainment whilst working away from home . not bought online before so want to get it right. Budget approx £1500 for the right machine.

Cheers all

Johben

johben

After looking at a couple of posts i'm wondering if the 560m card would suit my needs. Any feedback would be appreciated

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
I personally think you'll be happier with a 6970 (so long as it doesn't have any faults in any way, which I cannot guarantee), especially since your budget stretches as far.

Alternatively a soon to come 6990 will be even better (reportedly said to arrive in Sept at just ~£50 more).

Benchmarks

Otherwise the 560 is certainly a good choice.

ion089

the power consumption of the GeForce GTX 460M should be about 72 Watt
The power consumption of 6970m should be similar to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 480M / 485M and therefore about 100 Watt with MXM board and 2 GB GDDR5 memory.
The power consumption of the GeForce GTX 560M should be about 75 Watt (TDP including the MXM board and memory), which is about the level of the Mobility Radeon HD 5850 - 5870

all from notebookcheck.net

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
When not gaming on a laptop with the 560m, how much battery life could one really get?

It's not an easy question to answer directly, because it depends what you're using the laptop for. The more number crunching you do, the more power will be used by the CPU. As the Vortex II series are designed for gaming and not battery life, you're likely to get less than 2 hours regardless of the usage.

roohan1991

despite the fact that it is a gaming laptop... it should still at least have 3-4 hours of battery life when not gaming... otherwise it undermines the mobility of the laptop....
Apparently the ASUS g-series and the alienware laptops with the use of optimus technology claim to give at least 3-4 hours battery life when no gaming....

ion089

despite the fact that it is a gaming laptop... it should still at least have 3-4 hours of battery life when not gaming... otherwise it undermines the mobility of the laptop....
Apparently the ASUS g-series and the alienware laptops with the use of optimus technology claim to give at least 3-4 hours battery life when no gaming....

that's because the laptop is on idle with minimum brightness and wlan off.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Optimus technology is not enabled of the "Vortex II" series. It is however enabled on the "Optimus II" series and in tests we have seen a battery life of 3 hours 30 minutes when playing a movie with Optimus turned on.

Borolad

Hi,

I just bought the laptop below and it flys, Witcher 2 maxed out and it laughs at it mate, well impressed :)

Chassis & Display Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2720QM (2.20GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card 2.0GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 485M - DirectX® 11 (Special Offer)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200
rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (3,800 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Borolad.