Looking for advice to upgrade graphics card

iPal

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to potentially a 3060 TI 12GB. I'm mainly using it for GPU rendering and looking to get a proper update from the 1060 I have. Would the 3060 TI 12GB be a good choice to go for, or are there any other recommendations I should be looking at? Could I also get some advice on whether or not I need to upgrade my power supply? If so, to what should I be upgrading it?

Case
FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z370-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX V
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The 3060 Ti 12GB doesn't exist. The 3060 Ti is 8GB. The 3060 is 12GB. (Yes, this is a bit wacky.) The 3060 is almost certainly what you should go for. You'll benefit more from the extra VRAM than you will from the raw GPU power, and your power supply isn't really enough for the Ti.

I'd also be inclined towards an extra SSD, but I don't know how much it would help your workload. If you're doing timeline work with files on a hard drive, I'd definitely get another SSD...

iPal

The 3060 Ti 12GB doesn't exist. The 3060 Ti is 8GB. The 3060 is 12GB. (Yes, this is a bit wacky.) The 3060 is almost certainly what you should go for. You'll benefit more from the extra VRAM than you will from the raw GPU power, and your power supply isn't really enough for the Ti.

I'd also be inclined towards an extra SSD, but I don't know how much it would help your workload. If you're doing timeline work with files on a hard drive, I'd definitely get another SSD...

I got so confused about the different numbers, thanks for clearing that up! :LOL: So would the PSU I currently have be enough for the 3060 12GB? (Not the Ti one!)

Investing into a second SSD is actually next on my list!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I got so confused about the different numbers, thanks for clearing that up! :LOL: So would the PSU I currently have be enough for the 3060 12GB? (Not the Ti one!)

Investing into a second SSD is actually next on my list!
You would need to upgrade the PSU to about a minimum of 850W, and a higher tier like TXm as a minimum

But it would be a substantial uplift, just moving from a GTX card to an RTX card with the additional tensor cores will add quite a major bump in peformance, as well as the 3060ti being quite a step up in raw tesselation power.

It's definitely a good plan if you can.

iPal

You would need to upgrade the PSU to about a minimum of 850W, and a higher tier like TXm as a minimum

But it would be a substantial uplift, just moving from a GTX card to an RTX card with the additional tensor cores will add quite a major bump in peformance, as well as the 3060ti being quite a step up in raw tesselation power.

It's definitely a good plan if you can.

Is upgrading 850W also necessary if I go for the the non Ti one? (the 3060 12GB)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Is upgrading 850W also necessary if I go for the the non Ti one? (the 3060 12GB)
The 550w one you’ve got is not sufficient (Nvidia says 550w minimum, and you want a fair amount of headroom to keep the PSU running quietly and in its most efficient operating range).

So if you’re going to have to upgrade, you might as well pay the few £ extra for the 850w over the 750w. The more powerful RXm models will be of a better (higher spec components, better efficiency, quieter, cooler) than the basic VS model you’ve currently got.

iPal

The 550w one you’ve got is not sufficient (Nvidia says 550w minimum, and you want a fair amount of headroom to keep the PSU running quietly and in its most efficient operating range).

So if you’re going to have to upgrade, you might as well pay the few £ extra for the 850w over the 750w. The more powerful RXm models will be of a better (higher spec components, better efficiency, quieter, cooler) than the basic VS model you’ve currently got.

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't mind upgrading to future-proof it a bit more anyway