Looking for best battery life

RobertoDub

On a related note... would it be possible to limit the GPU consumption to, say, 50W when the laptop is used for browsing or light activities only? I guess that would positively impact battery life and fan noise? Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On a related note... would it be possible to limit the GPU consumption to, say, 50W when the laptop is used for browsing or light activities only? I guess that would positively impact battery life and fan noise? Thanks
It's a normal laptop so will use cpu graphics on light tasks. It switches between on board and dgpu depending on graphical requirements.

RobertoDub

It's a normal laptop so will use cpu graphics on light tasks. It switches between on board and dgpu depending on graphical requirements.
Then what is causing most gaming laptops' batteries to last only 2-3 hours?
You can get 1-2 hours more if you disable the dGPU and undervolt, but it's still far from the 9-12 hours of many ultrabooks.
Should one lower the CPU's TDP as well, maybe?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Then what is causing most gaming laptops' batteries to last only 2-3 hours?
You can get 1-2 hours more if you disable the dGPU and undervolt, but it's still far from the 9-12 hours of many ultrabooks.
Should one lower the CPU's TDP as well, maybe?
You can't compare a gaming laptop to an ultra book at all, they're literally 2 entirely different product categories.

An ultra book has ultra low power cpus which have poor performance and as such use very little power. They also have significantly larger batteries.

The batteries in gaming laptops are simply designed to get you from one place to the next on enough charge that you can continue your online game.

If you're looking for decent battery life on a gaming system then a custom laptop is not what you need at all, you're looking at entirely rhe wrong product.

RobertoDub

You can't compare a gaming laptop to an ultra book at all, they're literally 2 entirely different product categories.

An ultra book has ultra low power cpus which have poor performance and as such use very little power. They also have significantly larger batteries.

The batteries in gaming laptops are simply designed to get you from one place to the next on enough charge that you can continue your online game.

If you're looking for decent battery life on a gaming system then a custom laptop is not what you need at all, you're looking at entirely rhe wrong product.
The Ionico (and other gaming laptops from Dell, Lenovo etc.) has a 91WH battery, so there must be a way to make it last longer than the 5 hours mentioned in this forum.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Ionico (and other gaming laptops from Dell, Lenovo etc.) has a 91WH battery, so there must be a way to make it last longer than the 5 hours mentioned in this forum.
No, you need an entirely different spec machine. You're looking at the wrong product if all day battery life is what you're after, that's not what these are designed for.

Bhuna50

Author Level
OK serious response now, the only alternatives I can see for you are:

Elimina 15.6" or 17.3" laptops come with a detachable battery, so therefore you could purchase a spare battery however it is only up to 4 hours each.

A 15.6" Recoil laptop has an integrated battery that claims up to 8 hours.

Why dont you post a spec in the Check your Spec section along with your exact requirements, usages, budget etc and we can have a look to see what we can advise yo on.

RobertoDub

You can't have your cake and eat it as well. Performance and Prolonged battery life are mutually exclusive.
I agree, but that's the point of this thread... I was asking how to reduce performance when only light work is required, in order to increase battery life.