Looking for lightweight, Work laptop

ShadowDragon25

I have a gaming and editing PC for when working from home. However, after lockdown, I will need a portable work laptop for when I am working in the office. My requirements are using Microsoft Office and using Chrome browser. I use Dropbox for cloud storage. I also occasionally have to use the projector at work. Sadly it is only a VGA projector. Hoping to persuade work to get an HDMI projector soon. Any suggestions for a laptop? My budget is around £600.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Anything i3 and up sounds workable, I'd stick with 16gb ram, as we all know Office is getting more and more bloaty. As for the projector, your SOoL finding a VGA capable machine, however, I have a 10quid HDMI->VGA convertor from Amazon that I use if I'm in a bind, and just keep it in my laptop bag.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Chassis & Display
UltraNote Series: 14" Matte Full HD IPS 60 Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i3 Dual Core Processor i3-10110U (2.1GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 520 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 40W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
UltraNote Series Integrated 36WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.1 PORT + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
ULTRANOTE SERIES UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
Clevo NL41CU FHD (i3-10110U, FHD, 60Hz N4, Blank KB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Price: £600.00 including VAT and Delivery

If you don't need a Windows License obv take that off as it's 100ish quid

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I am assuming I can use a USB with windows 10 on it instead of paying for the license?

It will ship with an unactivated Windows 10 that PCS use for testing. Whatever you do, do not activate that copy - it will not be right for your laptop (missing drivers etc).

Download the official ISO from Microsoft and install it. Allow Windows to pull in any drivers it needs (one caveat to this - I always like to have WiFi and chipset drivers on the USB stick just in case) and only add third party drivers if Windows cannot identify the hardware.

You can activate it with whatever license you have available.

ShadowDragon25

You can link your licenses to your microsoft account then it's just all AutoMagic

It already says it is linked to my Microsoft account. So essentially. I can log into the laptop I get and it will use the license linked with my account?

Charlas

Enthusiast
You can only use a paid license across machines, so if you have 2 licenses on your account you can have 2 windows 10 installs, if you don't have a spare license, then you would need to obtain one. Whether that's by purchasing it with the new laptop, or purchasing it online from a store (look on hotukdeals, think I saw it going for 30-40 quid recently), so that might be a better way of obtaining it. I doubt PCS make money on the license, as MS probably charge them what they charge you so doubt they mind not shipping a license version.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
If you have a Windows 7 or 8 license you can activate 10 using that (I proved this just a few weeks ago and commented here).

When you install Windows 10, pop in the 7 or 8 key and it'll activate (providing that that key was never previously used to activate Windows 10 anywhere else).