looking for something but don't know what it's called

Al.Neri

Super Star
I recently bought a new desk for my PC, and I intend on having my tower on top. I'm looking for a bit of extra support underneath, something to act like a 5th leg. I've seen what I am looking for, but I'm unaware of the name.

it's basically an adjustable leg that can be placed between the underside of the desk surface and the floor, then can be raised/lowered & locked in place to add extra support.

anyone know what these are called, and where I can find one for the purposes I have in mind?

I don't want to bolt it to the desk or anything, just have it underthere sort of wedged in under the weight of the desk.

thanks.

Al.Neri

Super Star

those seem to be needed to be bolted to the desk, I'm looking for something that you can just slide under that has a cupped foot, and a flat top that can be held in place by gravity alone, but it's along the right lines.

few coppies of the yellow pages ?

not really going to be very productive if I don't know what I'm looking for.

Pete

Bright Spark
haha, sometimes i just say/type stuff in the hope that it come out in the right order and makes sense to somebody. I should probably have put a smiley to indicate an attempt at humour; failed in this case but it's ok i'm used to it. ;)

pengipete

Rising Star
I'm looking for something that you can just slide under that has a cupped foot, and a flat top that can be held in place by gravity alone...

Something like this...

Worktop-Support-Leg_medium.jpg

It's a worktop or breakfast-bar support leg - find 'em in DIY stores. Only thing to remember is to that you may need to cut it down - better to buy too long than too short. Most of them have an adjustable foot to get the height just right - makes it easier to install it too. I just tried ebay - searched for "support leg" in the home & garden section - they seem to be going for between £5 & £20.

Alternatively, you can buy the foot and the cup from most DIY shops or ironmongers (we still have those around here) and make the leg yourself using dowling or you can buy the metal rods in chrome, gold and white (also black but it's not so common to find it).

Just one thing. Do the job properly and screw it to the desk - ten bob's worth of screws versus £1000 worth of computer - that's a no-brainer.

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
Ikea also have a range of legs for building into tables of various styles and designs. A quick check on their website might yield something useful.

Anthony.

Al.Neri

Super Star
I got my desk from ikea, the only legs they have are along the lines of what I already have. I'm not after something to bolt to the desk, just something that can be raised/lowered then be placed under the desktop under it's own weight.

this is sort of what I'm after, just not on the big bulky industrial level though

http://www.mould-masters.com/table.htm