Looking to Overclock for the first time.

slake

Silver Level Poster
Okay, so I've just recently bought Arma 3 for £30 and much to my displeasure I cannot run Arma 3 Wasteland, unless I want to play it on low settings at 17/18fps.

So seeing as I can't afford a new mobo and CPU yet, I'm looking to OC until I can, but one thing... the OC will be done with a stock cooler. As I'm not looking to get a new cooler put in place.

So I was wondering what is a safe overclock for my CPU while using a stock cooler etc?

My specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Asus M4A87TD
8GB Ripjaws 1600MHz
3GB HD Radeon 7950
500 GB Velociraptor
640GB WD Caviar Green
650W Corsair TX PSU

Need to know anything else?

Would 3.2-3.4GHz be a safe bet?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So I was wondering what is a safe overclock for my CPU while using a stock cooler etc?
I wouldn't know anything about your cpu but for any type of overclock even if it is moderate I wouldn't do it with a stock cpu cooler. You could try and check the temps while you doing but I wouldn't recommend it.

steaky360

I would suggest you look at what your current temps are under load as that will give you a good guide as to what you will be able to push your PC too. Once you know how hot it is now you'll be able to compare that with other peoples temperature profiles from their overclocking adventures.

steaky360

To be honest as Keynes already pointed out you would be better getting a new cooler if you want to overclock.

slake

Silver Level Poster
Hmm, just the question of spend money on a cooler to possibly play Arma 3 and other games better.

Or just wait and save up for a mobo/i5 4570 bundle, which I've seen for £218...

I'll be waiting til probs christmas for the bundle if it's still for sale.

Also increasing my CPU from 2.8GHz > 3.2/3.4GHz, will there be much difference performance/fps wise that I should spend out on a cooler, or isn't it worth the money.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You won't find out until you try. I would go with your first suggestion and save for an i5. I would have expected your system to handle without any issues. Do you only experience issues with arma 3?

slake

Silver Level Poster
Arma 3 is my main problem, other games like BF3 on very high with 20-30 players and my FPS and performance in general is fine.

I play Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 on high/very high, same with Hitman Absolution and all of them I'm fine on.

So I keep saying it's a Arma 3 problem but so many players say "get a better PC".

My friend has the same graphics card as me but a different brand and he has an i5, and he's told me he gets 40-60 fps on Wasteland, so I just dunno :/

Going by the recommended specs on steam and using canyourunit, my PC ****s all over the needed specs but it just doesn't work online.

*This is the bundle I'm tempted by as I've been told is really good value: http://gyazo.com/6ea99a53e1eb10d50adac2552c969723

steaky360

OK. Get a better cooler and OC then, but the big difference is you aren't guaranteed a big performance boost with the small overclock you're likely to achieve (unless you know how to overclock or plan to take a long time to get it really stable).

I would suggest the better mobo/cpu mostly because its a new gen cpu compared to the one you'll have and if you can upgrade you WILL get the performance increase.

It's really up to you, it would irritate me in your shoes however if I got the cooler, overclocked and still didn't get the fps increase i wanted.

slake

Silver Level Poster
Yeah that's the problem I'm stuck with. Buy a new cooler, OC my CPU and I gain like 4-5fps, I'd be ****ed lol.

Guess I should just save.

Are the i5 4570's good or should I got the extra pennies and get a 4670/4670K?