Looking to upgrade.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, basically wanna upgrade my CPU to something more suited to gaming as not happy with my current CPU, I'm aware that I'll need to change mobo for a better CPU to be compatible hence why I'm asking on what's good and what I would need for that.

Money isn't really an issue but wouldn't want to spend no more than 550 ish for a better CPU and mobo if possible. Feel free to change CPU, Mobo and Cooler and let me know what you think will be best for gaming! :)

My current specs are as listed;

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-9900X (3.5GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME X299-A: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s, RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
I can tell you now that the response will prob be wait till Nov 5th.

AMD release their chips on this date supposedly beating Intel.

Crizzy G

Gold Level Poster
This because of AMD's new stuff?

Would switching to AMD make any other components need replacing other than the mobo? Or would that require a different cooler too?
You should go with the premium corsair coolers.
The new Zen chips will not come with a standard cooler.

Also the sweet spot for ram is 3200mhz.

I'm giving this advice in the assumption your purely gaming. But should all apply (apart from ram speed maybe).

It might also be suggested you go for the 3070 instead but only do so if your prepared to wait out.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What's wrong with the current CPU? There should be zero issues with that CPU affecting anything at all.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you've got any performance issues, it's down to that CPU cooler being completely inadequate for the CPU as you were advised last year here:

There's nothing wrong with the CPU and upgrading it would have no impact for gaming. Unless of course it's damaged due to overheating for a year!

Also am I right in thinking you're playing at 1080p? What make and model monitor do you have?

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
If you've got any performance issues, it's down to that CPU cooler being completely inadequate for the CPU as you were advised last year here:

There's nothing wrong with the CPU and upgrading it would have no impact for gaming. Unless of course it's damaged due to overheating for a year!

Also am I right in thinking you're playing at 1080p? What make and model monitor do you have?
Yes mate playing at 1080p, playing on an ASUS VG248QE @ 144hz. I dunno man I've had people tell me the i9 9900X is terrible for gaming, and benchmark results prove that the 9900K is superior...?? Results on UserBenchMark back this up too.

My CPU sits around 50-60 degrees and I don't think it's that giving me performance issues.

Also, in the post you mention. You tell me that my CPU is not optimal for gaming..?

Last edited:

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
What games are you playing as the majority of games are either monitor or GPU limited...CPU only affects things in a small proprotion of games. Also curious as to what monitor you are running

Hey mate, playing a lot of Escape from Tarkov recently, my GPU doesn't even go above 50% usage on most maps and feel the CPU is under a lot of stress, although I feel that I see other people with the 9900K getting better performance on the same games, I'm playing on an ASUS VG248QE @ 144hz, 1080p.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
What's wrong with the current CPU? There should be zero issues with that CPU affecting anything at all.
Just seen that on UserBenchmark people are getting higher results with even the 9900K so what's the point in having the X if the K is superior.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
You should go with the premium corsair coolers.
The new Zen chips will not come with a standard cooler.

Also the sweet spot for ram is 3200mhz.

I'm giving this advice in the assumption your purely gaming. But should all apply (apart from ram speed maybe).

It might also be suggested you go for the 3070 instead but only do so if your prepared to wait out.

Could I just OC my ram to 3200? I currently have an Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans is this not enough for the zen chips?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Results on UserBenchMark back this up too.
Userbenchmark is a joke and shouldn't be used by anyone for anything, it's just useless information based on absolutely no real world performance:

Yes mate playing at 1080p, playing on an ASUS VG248QE @ 144hz.

Your current system will not have any problems at all at that resolution, it's vastly overpowered for it. Have you actually looked at your FPS? It will be well over 144!
my GPU doesn't even go above 50% usage on most maps and feel the CPU is under a lot of stress
Your GPU can't reach it's full potential because the screen is the bottleneck, it's never going to be fully used, it's completely unsuitable for the monitor.

Also, I'm completely positive that your CPU is overheating at all times, that cooler just isn't enough for it.
Just seen that on UserBenchmark people are getting higher results with even the 9900K so what's the point in having the X if the K is superior.
The 9900x isn't a gaming processor, you've selected an X299 platform which is meant for video editing or data science.

But that aside, it's not going to affect gaming performance at this level, you need to match your monitor to make the most out of that build, you need to be looking at 1440 Ultrawide really, would be far better.

I'd just suggest buying a decent monitor and a far better cooler.

And the H100i platinum:

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Userbenchmark is a joke and shouldn't be used by anyone for anything, it's just useless information based on absolutely no real world performance:

Your current system will not have any problems at all at that resolution, it's vastly overpowered for it. Have you actually looked at your FPS? It will be well over 144!

Your GPU can't reach it's full potential because the screen is the bottleneck, it's never going to be fully used, it's completely unsuitable for the monitor.

Also, I'm completely positive that your CPU is overheating at all times, that cooler just isn't enough for it.

The 9900x isn't a gaming processor, you've selected an X299 platform which is meant for video editing or data science.

But that aside, it's not going to affect gaming performance at this level, you need to match your monitor to make the most out of that build, you need to be looking at 1440 Ultrawide really, would be far better.

And the H100i platinum:

Okay, also does this make any sense or is this just placebo. I just reseated my CPU and performance seems a lot smoother?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, also does this make any sense or is this just placebo. I just reseated my CPU and performance seems a lot smoother?
It will be fine until it's heated up and the cooler can't keep it at normal limits, then it will start to stutter.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Yes mate playing at 1080p, playing on an ASUS VG248QE @ 144hz. I dunno man I've had people tell me the i9 9900X is terrible for gaming, and benchmark results prove that the 9900K is superior...?? Results on UserBenchMark back this up too.

My CPU sits around 50-60 degrees and I don't think it's that giving me performance issues.

Also, in the post you mention. You tell me that my CPU is not optimal for gaming..?
How are you measuring your CPU temps? I'm guessing they are idle temps?

If you open Geforce Experience you can get your FPS up on your screen (there's other programs too obvs). What are they? However I'd doubt that any issues (apart from keeping that monster cool) are being caused by the GPU/CPU and you wont see any massive improvements unless you are planning on spending a hell of a lot of money.

With that rig running games at 1080p I'd doubt that the GPU is barely ticking over?

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster

And the H100i platinum:

Thank you. So I'm going to purchase the cooler you've linked, at the minute I have the CPU fan linked to the back of the PC and I have two fans on the top, am I right in thinking I'll have to mount the CPU cooler to the top of the case and then move one of the fans to the back??

Never had a CPU cooler with two fans so not sure how it works.

TIA.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, it will need to be mounted on the roof in place of the fans you have there....you could, technically, mount it at the front but that would make it look awful given the clear front. And if there is no fan at the back once the old cooler is removed then, yeah, you can reposition one of the roof ones there..
Ideal thank you.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Mounting it on the roof rather than the front also means all the warmth gets directly expelled from the case rather than being blown through the case to go out the back
Nice, ordered it earlier it's arriving tomorrow :) Will I have to apply thermal paste or does it come pre-applied?