Looks vs. air flow, Ionico vs. Valeon

YakuzaDog

Hi, forum.

I'm looking to replace my old gaming laptop and was originally thinking about a 17" Ionico, but was concerned that the lovely slim design might not be great for heat. Then the Valeon appeared and looked like it might be better for heat, but is obviously much less attractive. So I'm wondering how much difference that extra thickness is likely to make in real terms. I can get very similar specs on the two (Ryzen 9, RTX3070 as long as I'm patient), so I'm looking at how to get the best out of that hardware, and keeping it effective for as long as possible. Things to consider are:
  • I'm not planning upgrading or overclocking, so these aren't factors for me
    • I get the best I can when I need it, use it until it doesn't anymore; simplicity and longevity are my key factors
  • It's been a while since I've had a good gaming PC, so initially I'll be playing a lot of slightly older games from my Steam List of Shame that won't tax modern tech that much, but I still want to play more recent stuff as I get back into my old hobby
  • This will be an all-purpose machine that I'll be working on as well as playing, so things like a full size keyboard will make a difference to my life
  • It's mostly desk-bound, so weight and battery life aren't primary concerns, though it would be nice to work out and about with it if I can
  • I often run a second monitor, or put it through a TV for watching stuff, both currently just 1080p with no immediate plans to upgrade
  • I'm considering VR in the nearish future, if I can
Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Last edited:

KevGed

Hi, forum.

I'm looking to replace my old gaming laptop and was originally thinking about a 17" Ionico, but was concerned that the lovely slim design might not be great for heat. Then the Valeon appeared and looked like it might be better for heat, but is obviously much less attractive. So I'm wondering how much difference that extra thickness is likely to make in real terms. I can get very similar specs on the two (Ryzen 9, RTX3070 as long as I'm patient), so I'm looking at how to get the best out of that hardware, and keeping it effective for as long as possible. Things to consider are:
  • I'm not planning upgrading or overclocking, so these aren't factors for me
    • I get the best I can when I need it, use it until it doesn't anymore; simplicity and longevity are my key factors
  • It's been a while since I've had a good gaming PC, so initially I'll be playing a lot of slightly older games from my Steam List of Shame that won't tax modern tech that much, but I still want to play more recent stuff as I get back into my old hobby
  • This will be an all-purpose machine that I'll be working on as well as playing, so things like a full size keyboard will make a difference to my life
  • It's mostly desk-bound, so weight and battery life aren't primary concerns, though it would be nice to work out and about with it if I can
  • I often run a second monitor, or put it through a TV for watching stuff, both currently just 1080p with no immediate plans to upgrade
  • I'm considering VR in the nearish future, if I can
Thanks for whatever help you can give.
Hi, I have had my valeon for 1 week now. Its the Ryzen 9 5900HX with RTX3080. So far temps seem to be ok. I'm getting 84'c on the CPU and around 72'c on the GPU whilst playing Assassins Creed Valhalla and GTA V. I'm using it on a cooling pad.
Perhaps someone can compare temps with their Ionico for comparison.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Hi, I have had my valeon for 1 week now. Its the Ryzen 9 5900HX with RTX3080. So far temps seem to be ok. I'm getting 84'c on the CPU and around 72'c on the GPU whilst playing Assassins Creed Valhalla and GTA V. I'm using it on a cooling pad.
Perhaps someone can compare temps with their Ionico for comparison.
Seeing the VR comment, my Ionico 15, i7, 3070, 32gb, ssd is great for VR. Struggles a bit with MSFS on med/high (Oc Quest 2) with CPU & GPU 75-85degC but sounds like everything struggles with msfs!

YakuzaDog

After posting this, I saw the pinned User Benchmarks thread includes temperature, but the Ionico builds listed are all Intel. I can see AMD is better at the moment for performance, but don't know if there's a difference in heat or reliability between them as well.

YakuzaDog

I'm seeing pretty mixed reports on the Ionico. Mostly positive reviews, but then a lot of discussion of heat issues in the comments. Would love to see more about the Valeon as more people get theirs. Would also love to see if the Ionico's issues are just as bad with the Ryzen CPUs, since everything I've seen so far is Intel-based, as they've only recently added the AMD option for it.