Lost keyboard and Mouse

Roy03

I was using my pc as usual when I lost the use of my keyboard and mouse. I had to crash the computer and then reinstall the software for my keyboard and mouse. Has anyone any ideas why this should happen. I use a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. I tried new batteries straightaway but this didn't make any difference. Hope this makes sense

Roy

pengipete

Rising Star
After inserting the new batteries, did you reassociate the mouse/keyboard with the receiver? It's usually just a matter of pressing a button on the receiver and then pressing a button on the mouse/keyboard (usually on the bottom of the device).

If that doesn't help...

If the wireless receiver uses USB, try a different port or - if possible - use the PS/2 sockets (not all can use PS/2 - if yours can, it will have two leads and on of them will have an adaptor attached to use USB). If it's already connected to PS/2 or that option isn't available, try another USB port.

If that doesn't get it working, I'd supect that the receiver has stopped working - if possible, try it on another PC (a laptop will be fine) to make sure.

If they work on another PC the likely cause is a driver problem on your PC. That should be relatively easy to cure - except that you need a keyboard (and preferably a mouse) to do so. Do you have a spare or can you borrow one for half an hour? If not, you could at least get a cheap wired mouse - most pound-shops sell small ones.

Once you have the spares, connect them up and see if they work. If not, post back.

Assuming that you can operate Windows, what you need to do is connect both the working and non-working keyboards and mouse. In Windows, you need to look in Device Manager (you'll find the icon to open it in the Control Panel). You are looking for any device that shows a yellow triangle next to it's name - that indicates a problem with the drivers. If there are yellow triangles for the keyboard, mouse or - more likely - the receiver, you right-click on the device's name and select "Uninstall" from the menu that pops up. When you've removed all of the problems - no more yellow triangles, reboot the PC and - hopefully - Windows will automatically install new, correct drivers.

When you've done that, can you post back to let us know how you get on.

Roy03

Thanks for your reply. When allelse fails one can always read the instruction manual for the keyboard and mouse. It said exactly what you suggested. The only problem at the time was I couldn't log on at the time, but its all sorted now. many thanks for your advice, I feel a bit of a dork
Cheers
Roy