Lost performance

Hi all,

So my 1 year old PCS machine has lost so much performance its crazy. I'd like to test it again against my

but apparently you can no longer get the test / trial version of 3DMark via steam which is terrible because i'd love to see the difference.

all of a sudden games like MW2 lags like mad.. maybe 50 FPS if im lucky, GTA5, MW1 even... its horrible.
things ive done so far.

Lowered all my settings from Ultra to Basic (MW2) no difference.
A full wipe the PC and re-installed Win 11 - Same problem
removed all non essential software - same problem.

I dont know where to go with this at all.... im pretty lost... My PC would run MW2 @ Ultra and i'd get 160+ FPS (thats just an example)

Tubing Clear Flexible Tubing (Black Fittings)
Graphics Card Cooling GPU Water Block
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i9 16-Core Processor i9-12900K (3.2GHz) 30MB Cache
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE AX (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0)
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 4800MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive 2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

ive negated most of the useless stuff :) its all fully liquid cooled.. ummm

Thats her

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
yeah sorry just adding it :)
First thing I always do when trying to isolate a problem is try to find out when the problem started happening

Then I check to see if I made any changes, installed any software or did anything that could be altering the performance of the machine itself

Next step I turn off anything that could affect performance and run a benchmark with HWInfo open so I can monitor everything. If nothing shows up concerning then I move onto the next step

If I haven't been able to figure it out usually I go for the clean install of Windows. I completely remove windows from my boot drive and reinstall it from scratch so there is nothing but Windows on the machine, then I install all my system updates and drivers.

After I've done that I run another benchmark under same conditions as the last bench and compare the results. If this fixes the problem then happy days troubleshoot complete problem solved I move on

If this doesn't solve my problems then it points to hardware issue, which in a liquid cooled system unless you're very experience with draining and refilling the loop I'd recommend sending it back to PCS to be checked over for a hardware fault.

There are a lot of potential steps and with very little information it's very difficult to pin point anything for you, this would be a broad strokes approach to attempting to fix something if I had no clue what was happening

I have pretty much done all of the above, Including a full install of Win11 (binned everything off) non of that namby pampy "keep my files crap" :) Hardware swapouts are obvs not easy for a fully liquid cooled system.

Like i say a fresh install negated all that "its a software thing" out the window. it started on the 12th April to be exact I thought maybe it was a windows update so i rolled all that back - Including all the nVidia stuff

I'd like to run the 3D Mark Trial again but its vanished and its pay only now :( .. at least I could look at the difference between 8 months ago and now

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have pretty much done all of the above, Including a full install of Win11 (binned everything off) non of that namby pampy "keep my files crap" :) Hardware swapouts are obvs not easy for a fully liquid cooled system.

Like i say a fresh install negated all that "its a software thing" out the window. it started on the 12th April to be exact I thought maybe it was a windows update so i rolled all that back - Including all the nVidia stuff

I'd like to run the 3D Mark Trial again but its vanished and its pay only now :( .. at least I could look at the difference between 8 months ago and now
If you download the demo you can install the free packages from the DLC section, you can still use a free version of the software. I'd like to see what numbers you're actually getting and see the HWinfo details as well

Can you let us know what monitor you're using resolution and refresh rate?

As for the clean install these are the steps you followed, because there is a difference between a reset and full reinstall?

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

If you download the demo you can install the free packages from the DLC section, you can still use a free version of the software. I'd like to see what numbers you're actually getting and see the HWinfo details as well

Can you let us know what monitor you're using resolution and refresh rate?

As for the clean install these are the steps you followed, because there is a difference between a reset and full reinstall?

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).
So ive gone from 30k + points in 3D Mark

My new test is 19k so a massive drop. So when i said I did a fresh install I have the Windows 11 ISO on a bootable USB - deleted all the partitions etc. so when i say a fresh install its a "NEW" build :) ( This is not my first rodeo )

Monitors I have a mixed set - one is a DELL something.. who knows nothing specific for gaming and the other is a HP... and to be fair ive switched between the monitors and not noticed any difference... but 3DMark cares not about Monitors just Hardware performance?

I'd prefer not to get PCS after sales involved at this point in time, as shipping this thing is a right pain:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So ive gone from 30k + points in 3D Mark

My new test is 19k so a massive drop. So when i said I did a fresh install I have the Windows 11 ISO on a bootable USB - deleted all the partitions etc. so when i say a fresh install its a "NEW" build :)

Monitors I have a mixed set - one is a DELL something.. who knows nothing specific for gaming and the other is a HP... and to be fair ive switched between the monitors and not noticed any difference... but 3DMark cares not about Monitors just Hardware performace?
Well yeah the monitor matters you pair the monitor to the GPU, no point in having a GPU that's designed for 4k 240Hz on a 50" panel and then matching it with an old 22" 1080p 60Hz panel. It's just a complete waste of money to be honest because you'll only be using a fraction of the GPU. The GPU can only output what the monitor can display

The 3090 demands a minimum of 4K 144hz when gaming to be frank but let's get back to trying to solve the issue

Can you post a link to the benchmark and can you also send a screenshot of all the readings from Hardware Monitor? This will let us see things like voltages, CPU speeds, RAM speeds, and temperatures to make sure everything is running as it should during the test.

Ideally a before, during and after of the Hardware Monitor window would be best. Just so we can get an idea of how this things is behaving

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the Run command box enter perfmon /rel and click OK. This will open the Reliability Monitor. Allow it to populate and then locate the blue View by: Days/Weeks on the left above the graph. Post a screenshot of both Days and Weeks.

Also upload the System and Application logs...

1. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.

2. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.

3. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

4. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).

5. Zip the Application.evtx and System.evtx files together and upload the zip file here.

quick update - I ran another install today.... well its actually the 3rd fresh install today.

The first 2 installs worked fine, But after running windows updates the system would hang before windows has even loaded so just after it posting.

I ran a fresh install again, purely just a mounted win 11 ISO on USB and it went through OK. Just ran GTA5 etc all perfect again. MW2 is running @ 200FPS (ish)... So ill see that happens now. I am reluctant to do anymore updates in case its that.

I have no bothered with the GIGABYTE app either this time which does a fair bit, Maybe it was that or one of its updates....Ill never know :)

But for now everything is back to where it was *Fingers crossed*

Thanks for all the advice.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
quick update - I ran another install today.... well its actually the 3rd fresh install today.

The first 2 installs worked fine, But after running windows updates the system would hang before windows has even loaded so just after it posting.

I ran a fresh install again, purely just a mounted win 11 ISO on USB and it went through OK. Just ran GTA5 etc all perfect again. MW2 is running @ 200FPS (ish)... So ill see that happens now. I am reluctant to do anymore updates in case its that.

I have no bothered with the GIGABYTE app either this time which does a fair bit, Maybe it was that or one of its updates....Ill never know :)

But for now everything is back to where it was *Fingers crossed*

Thanks for all the advice.
Super glad to hear it's back working again