Loud fans in my Vortex (turn on at > 10% CPU usage)

d4005

Bronze Level Poster
I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the loud fan(s) in their Vortex laptop and had success? I'm really getting sick of how loud they are, and the fact that they come on when I'm seeing 85-90% CPU idle in the task manager. It's not like I'm even challenging it to do much. Not only that, I've got a cooler underneath it, with three repositionable fans that are all pointing in good places, and I've left one of the bottom laptop panels off for even better cooling from the cooler underneath. Despite all that, it's still firing up the built-in fans when there ain't much going on and the temperatures of the CPU cores and package (according to CPUID Hardware Monitor) show that they regularly go above 90°C (I've even seen 98°C).

So, back to my question, has anyone had any success modding a Vortex to make it cool better and quieter?

Daviid

Since your laptop is out of warranty already you can go ahead and download Prema Mod bios. Clevo laptops are known to suck at fan control, you just have to find out which clevo laptop series is your Vortex IV based on, go on following site and download the correct bios. Prema Mod is known to fix the bad fan control (for example for Optimus V) and also unlocks some other bios options normal mortals don't care about. https://biosmods.wordpress.com

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Since your laptop is out of warranty already you can go ahead and download Prema Mod bios. Clevo laptops are known to suck at fan control, you just have to find out which clevo laptop series is your Vortex IV based on, go on following site and download the correct bios. Prema Mod is known to fix the bad fan control (for example for Optimus V) and also unlocks some other bios options normal mortals don't care about. https://biosmods.wordpress.com

I would disagree with daviid with all due respect. Premamod isn't needed, your laptop just needs standard gaming laptop maintenence.

If the temps are that high there are 2 reasons.

1. It hasn't been cleaned properly, ie taking the bottom off and brushing out the fans and cooling lanes for dust.

2. If it's been a while and a clean doesn't return fans and temps to normal it may need a repaste of the cpu and or gpu.

The Vortex cooling is excellent as I can verify and if you service your laptop regularly the fans will never be noisy except when gaming. If the fans are running hard it's because there's a problem that needs addressing.

I've got exactly the same build and I don't hear the fans at all unless gaming.

d4005

Bronze Level Poster
Well, I learned something. I had never heard of Clevo until now. Biggest problem I see is finding out which of the huge number of Clevo models there are that I have.

d4005

Bronze Level Poster
I would disagree with daviid with all due respect. Premamod isn't needed, your laptop just needs standard gaming laptop maintenence.

1. It hasn't been cleaned properly, ie taking the bottom off and brushing out the fans and cooling lanes for dust.

2. If it's been a while and a clean doesn't return fans and temps to normal it may need a repaste of the cpu and or gpu.

The Vortex cooling is excellent as I can verify and if you service your laptop regularly the fans will never be noisy except when gaming. If the fans are running hard it's because there's a problem that needs addressing.

Good to hear. I'll give it a good clean. It hasn't had one in the 12 months I've had it ;-)

d4005

Bronze Level Poster
I still plan to give my fans/vents a good cleaning, but I want to add to this thread something that's already made a big difference. Editing my Windows power profile to reduce the maximum CPU value from 100% to 99%. It frees up the CPU to vary the multiplier between something as low as 8 (because I have the CPU minimum set to 25%) and maximum of 39 as it feels necessary, reducing the CPU usage significantly. When the power options maximum is set to 100%, it enables turbo mode and the multiplier was set to 39 permanently. It was running at maximum the whole time. It's no wonder the fans were making noise.

d4005

Bronze Level Poster

WOAH !!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!

I've never seen these low temps (40's and low 50's Celsius) for at least 6 months. There was a fair bit of dust on the underside. It turns out that leaving that main panel OFF the laptop isn't a good idea at all. You might think (ok, I thought) that it would aid cooling, and for a month it probably did, but then the increase in dust that can settle immediately flips that advantage around. I gave it all the hoovering of its life and put the panel back on, and I'm looking at 41 degrees C right now. I reckon I'll be turning my CPU maximum back up now, although not to 100% (constant turbo mode), instead max of 99%.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
WOAH !!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!

I've never seen these low temps (40's and low 50's Celsius) for at least 6 months. There was a fair bit of dust on the underside. It turns out that leaving that main panel OFF the laptop isn't a good idea at all. You might think (ok, I thought) that it would aid cooling, and for a month it probably did, but then the increase in dust that can settle immediately flips that advantage around. I gave it all the hoovering of its life and put the panel back on, and I'm looking at 41 degrees C right now. I reckon I'll be turning my CPU maximum back up now, although not to 100% (constant turbo mode), instead max of 99%.

Glad it's helped. It's essential on any kind of performance laptop or desktop that you regularly service it for dust, and occasionally down the road it may need a repaste as well to keep cooling optimal.