Loud fans on the Optimus Pro

Tmforshaw

Hi, I recently got the Optimus Pro and when I first got it I noticed that the fans are quite loud, I waited a bit because the week I got it it was quite warm weather and I wasn't sure if that was the issue. However, the fans are still quite noisy so I was wondering if this is normal, or if this is an issue that needs to be sorted out.

The problem only seems to happen when the laptop is charging.

I've tried to monitor the fan speeds but all the softwares I've used don't seem to detect any fan sensors. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, I recently got the Optimus Pro and when I first got it I noticed that the fans are quite loud, I waited a bit because the week I got it it was quite warm weather and I wasn't sure if that was the issue. However, the fans are still quite noisy so I was wondering if this is normal, or if this is an issue that needs to be sorted out.

The problem only seems to happen when the laptop is charging.

I've tried to monitor the fan speeds but all the softwares I've used don't seem to detect any fan sensors. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
What have you used to check fan speeds?

Fans respond to temperature, and when plugged in the laptop will be at full power so would lead to higher temps.

So we need to know what temps it’s at. Use HWMonitor to check temps when idle and under load:

Tmforshaw

What have you used to check fan speeds?

Fans respond to temperature, and when plugged in the laptop will be at full power so would lead to higher temps.

So we need to know what temps it’s at. Use HWMonitor to check temps when idle and under load:

I used HWMonitor but there are no fan sensors being detected. I checked the temps when idling and when ARK was running on mid-low settings.

I'm not sure if the fans are just loud or if the internals do actually need this much cooling, but as I said it only seems to happen while plugged in.

IdleMonitor.pngUnderLoadMonitor.png

Thanks for the quick reply.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As said, when plugged in it will be on full power profile so everything will be running at much higher power, when on battery it will be under power saver profile so GPU and CPU will be throttled back to save power.

Those screenshots aren't showing any CPU temps?

Tmforshaw

As said, when plugged in it will be on full power profile so everything will be running at much higher power, when on battery it will be under power saver profile so GPU and CPU will be throttled back to save power.

Those screenshots aren't showing any CPU temps?
Yeah, I'm not really sure why because the CPU temps show up in the gaming center, I tried reinstalling it but the CPU temps and the fan speed don't show up.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, I'm not really sure why because the CPU temps show up in the gaming center, I tried reinstalling it but the CPU temps and the fan speed don't show up.
Fan speeds aren’t important, you don’t need those.

Can you try with HWInfo:

Tmforshaw

Fan speeds aren’t important, you don’t need those.

Can you try with HWInfo:

The averages for both were taken over 2 mins.
I'm not really sure if the fan sound is actually an issue or if I'm setting my expectations of the noise levels too high.

IdleCPUTemps.pngUnderLoadTemps.png

boggi12

@Tmforshaw
I am interested in purchasing this machine.
Are the fans only noisy during gaming and heavy load or also in idle/websurfing/office and watching youtube?
Would be splendid hearing from you!

Tmforshaw

@Tmforshaw
I am interested in purchasing this machine.
Are the fans only noisy during gaming and heavy load or also in idle/websurfing/office and watching youtube?
Would be splendid hearing from you!
Honestly, I love it. The fans do get quite loud but I don't think that's avoidable when getting a powerful laptop. I've had no problems running games or anything like that. The fans only seem to get loud when im playing games and if you have noise cancelling headphones it isn't an issue. I only asked about it because I've never had a gaming laptop before so I wasn't sure if the noise was normal.

Hope that was helpful, let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try help as best as I can.

boggi12

@Tmforshaw
I have another and last question about the Display. How is the contrast and colour? Isit vibrant or a little dark and shallow? Also, did you notice any ghosting in gaming or is the response time adequate?

Tmforshaw

@Tmforshaw
I have another and last question about the Display. How is the contrast and colour? Isit vibrant or a little dark and shallow? Also, did you notice any ghosting in gaming or is the response time adequate?

I can't complain about the display, I don't have much to compare it to but the display offers a lot of contrast as everything is quite crisp. I've not had any problems when playing games and the response time is not something I've noticed so I would say it's good enough. The colour is acceptable, I wouldn't say that it is photorealistic but there is certainly a clean look to everything that's displayed.

Also, since the last time we've talked I have been paying more attention to the fans, and when I'm browsing there is a soft "whirring" sound, it doesn't bother me too much but it isn't slilent. It is easy enough to phase out and not pay attention to but I just wanted to make sure you were aware that it isn't fully silent.

Edit: Another thing I have noticed today is that the keys on the keyboard are fading already (mainly the WASD keys and shift), I've had the laptop for 16 days, the hinges of the screen seem a bit low quality as they're not very sturdy. I am seriously considering sending it back because although the hardware inside the laptop is very good for the price I've paid, it's becoming apparent that the reason for this is that the chassis is not the best quality.

I don't want to sway your opinion too much, but for my "dream laptop" I honestly was hoping for something of higher quality.

Last edited:

boggi12

@Tmforshaw
wow wow, cannot thank you enough for all the information you shared with me! I bet many other potential buyers really appreciate your post and response.
about the hinges, there is also a review on notebookcheck which criticizes the lid and the hinges but I thought ok, no worries, wouldn't tear off hopefully. about the keyboard fading already. this seems pretty weird after only 16 days! after 2 years ok, but 2 weeks?
Just keep me/us updated if you like whether you are going to keep it or sending it back

Tmforshaw

@boggi12

Hi again,
I've sent a return request to PCS because I'm worried that if I keep this laptop it isn't going to last very long and I'll end up having to get a new one a lot sooner than I expected. I know that some people would have no complaints about the laptop because the specs of the machine are quite good, it's the outside that seems to be the let down. I don't think the hinges are the worst I've ever seen, but when paying this amount of money I expected a higher quality build. Also, whatever material the laptop is made from seems to easily collect smudges, so it's hard to keep it looking clean all the time.

The good thing about PCS is that they give you 30 days to figure out if this is the right laptop for you, and I cannot fault the moderators of this forum at all. I'm glad that I'm not stuck with a laptop that I would begin to hate, and I can get one that suites me better.