Loud PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I not long ago purchased a mini pc from you to be used as a HTPC.

The issue is after a while of use an hour or so the PSU becomes rather loud, and distracts away from the viewing experience.

Take into account I have my sound coming throuh my 5.1 system so its not exactly quiet I am also sitting a good 3 and a half meters away from the HTPC and yet i cant still hear it and it is rather frustrating.

Spec:
Processor (CPU) Intel® Atom™ DualCore Processor 330 (1.60GHz) 533MHz FSB/1MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® AT3IONT-I: NVIDIA ION™, 4 x S-ATA, 6-Channel HD Audio, 2x DDR3
Memory (RAM) 4GB CORSAIR DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY!
Graphics Card Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400M mGPU + HDMI & DX10 Support
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 40GB Intel® X25-V (34nm) HIGH PERFORMANCE 2.5" SSD (upto 170MB/sR | 35MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 2x SATA BLURAY ROM + 8x DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer & 16x CD-RW (£99)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 3 in 1 SD Card Reader
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Bluetooth & Infrared Options NONE
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor NONE
2nd Monitor NONE
DVI Cable NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Home Installation NONE
Warranty 1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1st Month Free Collect & Return
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Is there anything I can do or you can do to help as a loud htpc is pretty much pointless.

Cheers.

JMOB

Bronze Level Poster
Supertom44

If you have a technical query and want advice, I suggest that you email your query, with your order number to [email protected], or phone our Call Centre on 0844 499 4000.

Whilst forum members may be able to offer advice, it sounds like you need individual support, which is not available through the forum.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the PSU fan can kick in when the system gets hot, it's quite normal. :s

I understand that but it was advertised as being much quieter than a desktop pc. Both of my desktops are quieter than the PSU in my mini pc.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The mini PC's are quieter, but I'm guessing you have it stored on your desktop rather than hidden away under your desk?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm...The PSU fan normally kicks in when the system gets warm, I assume that it's not too hot where it's sat?

In around 5-6 weeks time we will have some new cases coming into stock that are 100% silent, if you'd be happy to cover the collection/labour costs we can change over the PC into the 100% silent case for you? (The noisiest component is the hard drive).

It shouldn't be getting too hot, there is nothing behind it or to the side so its got plenty of ventilation.

If you could let me know when you get the new cases in stock, I'd be more than interested in sapping cases. I'll try and reply to this thread next month or make a new one to see if they have arrived yet if I remember.

Thanks for your help.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds great, keep checking back and post again when we have the cases in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.