low power mini pc server

pmcc

I need to replace an old computer which provides file, print and a few web services. It's on 24x7 and is often accessed remotely. The current box consumes around 200W as best I can determine and so electricity costs are around £250 per year. It must be always available, but is not subject to heavy concurrent or sustained use.

It occurs to me that a Hush Silent mini-PC may be a suitable solution. It would run Ubuntu linux server edition and would not need to support a graphical user interface. I have thought about an ultra-low power solution such as a Sheeva Plug, but have hesitated because it may be taking the small form factor concept a bit too far.

To help decide what I should do, I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the power draw (max, idle & sleep) of a 4G RAM Hush Silent PC, a) with 250G mag disk, b) with low power mag disk, c) with SSD storage?

2. Could USB3 be supported? That would allow a small SSD storage capacity to be part of the box and most storage to be satisfied by an attached external drive.

Thanks for any info.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

1. We tested a spec with the Silent Mini PC a few months ago using a standard HDD (not SSD) and as far as I can remember the idle was around 32W and it managed to get to about 65W when pushed with Prime 95.

2. USB 3.0 is not supported on this system. However, we are looking into a new motherboard for this system that may be available in the next few weeks. I cannot guarantee that we will launch it, or if it will have USB 3.0 but it may be worth holding off to consider this.