Lower end gaming computer

Hi,

I am trying to put together a gaming computer able to run an HTC Vive Pro and 4K (not necessarily at the same time) for around £1000ish, maybe a little more if it can be justified. Being at least a bit future proof would also be useful.

The main issue I am having is whether to go Intel or AMD, how much RAM etc. is justifiable for that price and whether it is worth getting the GTX 1070 over the 1060.

I am also setting up a 5.1 surround sound system in the same room so it would be useful if the two could be link reliably.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I am trying to put together a gaming computer able to run an HTC Vive Pro and 4K (not necessarily at the same time) for around £1000ish, maybe a little more if it can be justified. Being at least a bit future proof would also be useful.

The main issue I am having is whether to go Intel or AMD, how much RAM etc. is justifiable for that price and whether it is worth getting the GTX 1070 over the 1060.

I am also setting up a 5.1 surround sound system in the same room so it would be useful if the two could be link reliably.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What’s the purpose of 4k ie, media, gaming?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Are you saying you'll be VR gaming on the PC...? Apologies, but if all you're doing is consuming media and not gaming, you don't need GTX 1070s or anything above integrated graphics, or a really basic CPU.

What connector(s) does your sound system have?

Are you saying you'll be VR gaming on the PC...? Apologies, but if all you're doing is consuming media and not gaming, you don't need GTX 1070s or anything above integrated graphics, or a really basic CPU.

What connector(s) does your sound system have?

I will be using the PC for VR, yes. I have a Windows Mixed reality headset but my brother has an HTC Vive and I would like to be able to upgrade to at least the Pro later, without having to upgrade the computer again.

The sound system and TV are/will be running through a Denon AV Amp. (It's not all set up yet, I'm still waiting for the speakers.)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I will be using the PC for VR, yes. I have a Windows Mixed reality headset but my brother has an HTC Vive and I would like to be able to upgrade to at least the Pro later, without having to upgrade the computer again.

The sound system and TV are/will be running through a Denon AV Amp. (It's not all set up yet, I'm still waiting for the speakers.)

But what do you use the VR for?

Having a bit more of a look around, I think I am going to leave it until the next generation of graphics cards appear and see what it does to the prices.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This is what I was going to suggest, especially the RTX 2070. VR gaming can be extremely demanding, and £1000 is a pretty ambitious budget especially if you want a degree of futureproofing too. Perhaps the RTX 2070 might offer better bang for buck that current gen offerings. See in October or so when it's due out.