M.2 SSD Swap

Millward18

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys,

I am looking at upgrading my M.2 SSD on my current spec. I have the bog standard '128GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (560MB/R, 467MB/W)', which is used to hold my OS as well as apps. Games are stored on a separate HDD. If I bought a new m.2 SSD (Looking at he Samsung PM691 256GB) How would I go about transferring OS and Apps from one M.2 Drive to another? To make the matter even more complicated, I only have one M.2 slot on my mobo (Gigabyte Z270P-D3). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You could use a disk clone tool like Macrium Reflect (free) to image your existing SSD. After swapping SSDs you'd boot the Macrium recovery media (you create that before you take the old SSD out) and restore the disk image to the new SSD.

If it were me I'd take the opportunity to do a clean install, I realise you don't want to have to reinstall everything again, but it's an excellent opportunity to clear out all the garbage that inevitably builds up in aged Windows installations.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can get PCIe add-in cards (or since that's a Sata M.2 SSD, a Sata converter would work) if you want to still use the SSD in the system to install the odd game to.

Millward18

Bronze Level Poster
(or since that's a Sata M.2 SSD, a Sata converter would work)

Excuse my stupidness, can you explain how that would work? Am I right in thinking one m.2 would be connected via sata to the motherboard and the other in the M.2 slot? Enabling me to transfer programmes and software to the other.
Will using a sata cable effect the speed of the m.2? - I like the sound of using both now, if it works that that way! ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Excuse my stupidness, can you explain how that would work? Am I right in thinking one m.2 would be connected via sata to the motherboard and the other in the M.2 slot? Enabling me to transfer programmes and software to the other.
Will using a sata cable effect the speed of the m.2? - I like the sound of using both now, if it works that that way! ;)

That’s right, you could have them both in at the same time. The SATA converted one would be limited to SATA speeds of around 600mbs r/w

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You'd put the PM961 in the M.2 slot on the motherboard, and the cheapo sata one you currently have into the sata enclosure.

Obviously the SSD you connect up via Sata will be limited to Sata speeds - but that's not an issue because your current budget SSD is slower than the limit for Sata anyway. It is a sata SSD (and a slow one at that), it just has an M.2 connector.

I don't actually know for a fact that there are M.2 to Sata converter kits, but I'd be very surprised if there aren't. I think I saw some cheap one on Amazon.