M2 SSD and SATA

I plan to install Windows 10 on my M2 SSD but keep my files on a SATA HDD. Asus Motherboard. Any issues I should be aware of?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
No, that's what you're "supposed" to use those drives for :) (M.2) SSD for OS, programs, and such, HDD for storage.

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
I meant with conflict. As I understand it, sometimes the M2 slot and a SATA port can share resources

Yes, that is true - M.2 does share some sata ports. Have a look at your M/B manual under storage and it it will tell you - for example "If an M.2 is fitted, SATA3_A_0 will be disabled" (or whatever the naming convention is). Simply use the next one in sequence i.e. SATA3_A_1, to attach your HDD to.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Helps if you post what motherboard you have if you want actual feedback on your motherboard and conflicts.

Plus other details like whether you're talking about your onw hardware, hardware installed by PCS... etc...

Not knowing your spec off by heart from your other post, I assumed you had got a PC with an M.2 SSD and an HDD fitted by PCS and were looking to install your own OS. As opposed to the HDD being your own that you are adding in too.

Context and detail really does help us help you :)

AFAIK the Z370P doesn't have that issue, possibly as it only has 4 sata ports. But as above the Manual will say if you want to check.

Last edited:
I assumed you had got a PC with an M.2 SSD and an HDD fitted by PCS and were looking to install your own OS. As opposed to the HDD being your own that you are adding in too.

AFAIK the Z370P doesn't have that issue, possibly as it only has 4 sata ports. But as above the Manual will say if you want to check.

That’s exactly it. My understanding is that if one of the M2 ports is in use then I can’t use one of the SATA ports