MacBook for gaming?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This is something I need to test on this, apparently they put in a half decent DAC into the output jack, I really need to compare that to my external sound card, see just how good it is.
No optical out on the latest Macs though 😖

…but Thunderbolt 4 should have a nice, low latency anyway…as long as you don’t mind the TB4 premium on everything…because if you can afford a Mac, you must be rich 🤣

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No optical out on the latest Macs though 😖

…but Thunderbolt 4 should have a nice, low latency anyway…as long as you don’t mind the TB4 premium on everything…because if you can afford a Mac, you must be rich 🤣
The thunderbolt premium is just mental, you’re looking at entry level of about £200 for a really basic sound card, I fully refuse that.

I primarily use Native Instruments kit and plugins, because they just do the job so damn well and there’s so many options. Think the sound card was £60 or something, beats any internal sound card I used to have back in the day, and it’s brilliant for midi

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm all for faster, more efficient chips, with more cores, etc...especially GPU cores with HA ray-tracing and dynamic caching...but using MYST to tell us how powerful they are seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

Couldn't they have demoed Starfield or AW2 running through 2 translation layers to show 60FPS on a 4k screen...or something...to show how powerful their eleventy-seven GPU cores were?

Pity so many of their 'benchmarks' were compared to the 'average M1' and the last Intel machines. Of course, 15% generation on generation is still better than Intel has ever offered, but 600% performance increase on a 10-core CPU vs a 4 year old 4-core Intel chip is a bit misleading.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm all for faster, more efficient chips, with more cores, etc...especially GPU cores with HA ray-tracing and dynamic caching...but using MYST to tell us how powerful they are seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

Couldn't they have demoed Starfield or AW2 running through 2 translation layers to show 60FPS on a 4k screen...or something...to show how powerful their eleventy-seven GPU cores were?

Pity so many of their 'benchmarks' were compared to the 'average M1' and the last Intel machines. Of course, 15% generation on generation is still better than Intel has ever offered, but 600% performance increase on a 10-core CPU vs a 4 year old 4-core Intel chip is a bit misleading.
Yeah, the comparisons to M1 was rather telling, and then constantly saying how Intel MacBook users would see a huge increase, never M2 users being referenced.

I am still hopeful about the gaming performance, I do think we'll see far more energy put into that segment from Apple, but it's going to take time