MacBook Pro CPU getting slow. Looking to upgrade, please help

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My advice would be that I doubt the chip is causing a bottleneck, and I wouldn't swap out the MacBook Pro just yet. I would firstly do a full reinstall of MacOS from scratch, not a restore, and then only install what's needed. I think it's more than likely a memory issue that's causing the bottleneck.

jdon

Hi, thanks for your answer. I actually check my ram usage a lot and it seems that even under heavy load, i still usually have around 7gb to spare while the CPU is going crazy. Does the point still stand?

My advice would be that I doubt the chip is causing a bottleneck, and I wouldn't swap out the MacBook Pro just yet. I would firstly do a full reinstall of MacOS from scratch, not a restore, and then only install what's needed. I think it's more than likely a memory issue that's causing the bottleneck.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Downgrade the OS

Seriously I have a couple of friends with them and they upgraded. Their use case is photo editing from full frame DSLR cameras and the upgrade made both their machines crawl.

Same generation machines too (I had one as a Windows machine too).

Have a Google round too - sounds like huge issues with the latest MAC OS or whatever they call it today ;)

Yeah just Google MacOS Sierra Slow... looks like a right ol' resource hog.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Downgrade the OS

Seriously I have a couple of friends with them and they upgraded. Their use case is photo editing from full frame DSLR cameras and the upgrade made both their machines crawl.

Same generation machines too (I had one as a Windows machine too).

Have a Google round too - sounds like huge issues with the latest MAC OS or whatever they call it today ;)

Yeah just Google MacOS Sierra Slow... looks like a right ol' resource hog.

I run Sierra without any issues on a 2010MBP