Making use of 'old' hardware

dv8tion242

Created this a few years ago when I had a spare webcam kicking about (and may or may not work with new distros or hardware, but I don't see why there would be a problem.). If you see errors or improvements, by all means mention it.. This originated in 2010 so who knows. Maybe I'll even update it one day. :) The basic idea is making use of motion detection and either a video or a set series of images can be copied. The 'neat' part of this is copying this to dropbox (or whatever syncing you use) so even if someone damages your hardware, the media will be (reasonably) safe. Oh and unless you laid out for new hardware, won't cost you anything.

Ubuntu Web-cam Security:
Note: This may work on other versions but here and now I have 10.10. This is strictly a get up and go How-To that worked for me.
Get yourself a decent web-cam which is compatible with ‘nix. That 5 year old USB1 device is not going to cut it. Cameras are cheap, so run to the store or order on-line and get something. No, not the most expensive either.
  1. Get a program called “motion” Typing “motion” will give you the skinny on what you need (Ubuntu is cool like that) but: sudo apt-get install motion is generally what you need.
  2. Test your web camera to make sure it works. I can’t predict which version of Ubuntu or Linux you are using so I can only going with the default program of Cheese (10.04) is what you have access to. Cheese, will help make sure your camera works and close.
  3. Motion will work now, but will only spit files to a temp folder. This is not a big deal if you don’t mind editing files later.
  4. sudo gedit /etc/tmp/motion/motion.conf There is a line for target directory, which allows you to direct the feed of files wherever your little heart desires. You can also change the frame rate, but I would suggest not playing with this too much.
  5. Now, for the fun stuff.
  6. There is a section in the Motion documentation about setting about web pages and FTP feeds. There is no need, unless you also like milking your own cows, and waiting for paint to dry. We are going to use Dropbox. (http://www.dropbox.com )
  7. Dropbox is one of the most useful, and yet, most basic services in existence. All it does is and shove files back and forth as they get old or deleted and if you want to pay for more service, they are happy to accommodate that. Dropbox has versions which run on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
  8. Finish the Dropbox install. I am not going to go into the fine details of this here, as it is covered on the Dropbox page better in detail, and the install instructions are quite good.
  9. Set up steps in at the end of motion.conf configuration where you would probably just be setting up ports and paths and who knows what else. All you would really need now is to change (sudo gedit /etc/tmp/motion/motion.conf ) the motion.conf target dir line to point to a specified Dropbox folder, and any images which get created are saved.
  10. The reasoning behind it is similar to how security companies market their own products where anything they store is kept out of your home in lieu of damage or thief. For the cost of a web cam and old PC, you can create a functioning system and you do not need to depend on people you don't know or let anyone in your home.

I make no guarantees of security or reliability of your hardware, nor that this stand up in court. This is for information and interest. If it does help you, great!
Note:
Again, this does not create a file sharing setup, but is a very, very basic sharing to allow someone who may have old hardware and does not have a handy network port. If there are technical errors, please let me know. I'm no wizz at this and this is stuff that works for me based on scrounging info and trying to make things work.