Malevolence or incompetence?

danmagus2

Hi all,
I ordered a laptop mid-April, received it in June and after a few days of using it, the laptop's screen completely failed and I had to RMA it. It came back somewhere in July with the screen replaced and... it had dead pixels. Again, RMA. It came back yesterday with a brand new screen(the third one) and... dead pixels in a different place.
This laptop is 62 days old, from which I used it 12-14 days max. Now I need to do a third RMA and hope that they actually check the new screen for faults.
What I find insulting is that the resolution of this last RMA was: "I checked your system again this morning and it had passed the tests without issue. It was then cross-checked by a second technician to confirm my results." So two technicians looked at the screen and didn't see the dead pixels. Are they incompetent or malevolent?
I have filed a formal complaint and am waiting for an answer.
P.s.: yes, I did try jscreenfix. It's confirmed that it's dead pixels.

steaky360

I suspect that its neither, but saying that, rightly you've made the complaint. I would be interested to hear back (if you would like to keep us updated) with the outcome.

Without knowing what the tests are that they run on the screens (you can imagine, going 'by eye' and checking all the screens will be a tedious process and in my opinion mistakes are likely to happen should that be the case). Its entirely possible that all the checks / tests were indeed passed and verified. Its entirely plausible that whatever the tests were are automated and potentially even software based (perhaps a sensor on the screen or something like that). I have no clue, I just wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions.

The complaints process will hopefully resolve the issue. It shouldn't have taken 3 screens to get you one that works!

danmagus2

I suspect that its neither, but saying that, rightly you've made the complaint. I would be interested to hear back (if you would like to keep us updated) with the outcome.

Without knowing what the tests are that they run on the screens (you can imagine, going 'by eye' and checking all the screens will be a tedious process and in my opinion mistakes are likely to happen should that be the case). Its entirely possible that all the checks / tests were indeed passed and verified. Its entirely plausible that whatever the tests were are automated and potentially even software based (perhaps a sensor on the screen or something like that). I have no clue, I just wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions.

The complaints process will hopefully resolve the issue. It shouldn't have taken 3 screens to get you one that works!
Whatever tests they're performing, a simple full black screen would've showed the dead pixels. You don't need eagle eyes to spot them and by saying two techs said everything is ok, makes this issue bigger than it should be.
I will keep you guys updated and I hope that the fourth screen will actually work properly.

steaky360

Whatever tests they're performing, a simple full black screen would've showed the dead pixels. You don't need eagle eyes to spot them and by saying two techs said everything is ok, makes this issue bigger than it should be.
I will keep you guys updated and I hope that the fourth screen will actually work properly.
Whilst I don't disagree if you're looking at one screen thats a fairly rudimentary test. My point (as poorly explained as it was), was that I'd imagine if its a 'manual' test (i.e. looking for dead pixels) they'd be doing it on hundreds of screens. So its not unreasonable in my mind that some may slip through the cracks so to speak (although I still don't think its acceptable or anything, I suspect if its a manual test its kind of like a 'false positive').

Definitely will appreciate any feedback you end up getting and can pass back here, also fingers crossed for you 'fourth time lucky' !

danmagus2

Small update: No response on the complaint, but now I noticed that under full black, the screen is weirdly lit in the left upper part, as well as bits of its left side. I took the best picture that I could. The dead pixel is also visible.
Is this weird light something to worry about?

Attachments

• 20210727_153434.jpg
    20210727_153434.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 194