Mathemagicians - Help my brain fog here!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's down to the fact that most work Mon-Fri, with Wed being the mid-point of the working week.

I can never wait to get Wed by with as I know I'm on the home straight to the weekend :D
Oh retirement is such fun! When I login to the forum and check the unread posts, if there is less than one page full then it must be Sunday. That's the only way I know what day of the week it is.....:cool:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's down to the fact that most work Mon-Fri, with Wed being the mid-point of the working week.

I can never wait to get Wed by with as I know I'm on the home straight to the weekend :D
yeah that's the normal working week but not the week ;) :ROFLMAO:(y)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh retirement is such fun! When I login to the forum and check the unread posts, if there is less than one page full then it must be Sunday. That's the only way I know what day of the week it is.....:cool:
yeah I'm retired as well, so part of the day is Sunday......................

MrWilson

Godlike
There are so many 'argument starters' on FB designed to boost engagement, it really does frustrate me at times.
There are the ones that fudge around with algebra, like it could be 2 bunches of bananas =10, a bunch of bananas and a cookie =9, what does 2 bananas and a cookie equal, and they fudge it because they'll change the number of bananas in the bunch, or the number of chocolate chips on the cookie... NO! That's bad maths and I hate it with a burning passion.

Then there's the 'sequence' post where they have something like
9 = 90
8 = 72
7 = 56
3 = ?

There is so much wrong with this. In no way does 9=90. You can express it as F(9)=90 as that implies a function where F(x)=x(x+1) or you can express it as 9 -> 90 as the arrow implies a conversion following implementation of a function.

If you want some fun maths, you can have a look at the proof showing that the sum of all positive integers is -1/12 , which is utilised in advanced physics such as string theory. We had a lot of fun in our A level Maths classes...

Bhuna50

Author Level
Sunday is the start of the week so Wednesday is the middle of the week :D with midday Wednesday being the true mid point :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
yeah that's the normal working week but not the week ;) :ROFLMAO:(y)

Yeah, I knew that at least one person would be commenting on being retired haha.

My point was more that "Humpday" refers to the mid-point of the working week.... not the week. I don't think people use it to suggest the middle of a whole week..... if they do, they're wrong.

Much like the people who got 1 for the equation 😇

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sunday is the start of the week so Wednesday is the middle of the week :D with midday Wednesday being the true mid point :D

Depends where you are globally. We have a nightmare with this stuff in work with spreadsheets & formula calculations based on week start/week numbers etc.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I'm far too late to the party to add anything that hasn't been said really. Which is a shame as I would have enjoyed the debate! :cry:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I just thought about this :
Love it!

My favourite cartoon that I shared somewhere else here I think.....

1619613070042.png

Bigfoot

Grand Master
It's 42...as that's the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything
That just complicates things further, as the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is “What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?”.

Ash_

Master Poster
I gave up on maths, roughly around the time i got a smartphone 🤣. I’m all about making my life easier

Bigfoot

Grand Master
That just complicates things further, as the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is “What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?”.
To which Arthur Dent replied “I always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with the Universe”.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The biggest problem with the equation is that it came from Facebook. I highly recommend keeping well clear of it and other so called social media. You will have much more time on your hands and feel more positive. PCS forum excepted, of course. 😀
This is entirely what's at play with the original Q. It is deliberately ambiguous to do nothing other than generate discussion and disagreement and keep the keyboard warrior factions at war.

In which case it must be noted that it is really quite fantastic at it's intended purpose! Bravo I say!