(Maybe) The end of my G9

TomBerry

Bright Spark
So the time has possibly come, I'm thinking about swapping out my G9...
I've had this monitor just under a year now, and I've had a great gaming and working experience with it. The sheer size of the monitor still blows me away today, it's just an absolute beauty! However, a recent event has swayed me from continuing to use the G9 in the future, I've put the story below in the spoiler just in case you're not bothered for reading this etc.

I have been a huge fan of playing Valorant, and have been since it came out on Closed Beta. It may not be the best game to play on such a monitor so I got a Cursor Lock application to use so that I can have it in a simple 16:9 resolution and still be able to play the game without any issues. Now what the cursor lock did was essentially what it says on the tin...locks my cursor to the application I am on (so in this case, Valorant) so that I can't swing my mouse and click on the desktop, taking me out of the game which happened a lot before getting this application.
The other day, I received a permanent ban on Valorant for using "third party software", and the only thing that came straight to my mind was this cursor lock. I have spent a hefty amount of money on this game (unfortunately...) and have also been a huge supporter since it was released in the market. This permanent ban still has me shocked to this day as I'm being labelled a cheater by them, and this has really put me off using the cursor lock. Without the cursor lock this also ruins my experience for other games too that I'd like to play in 16:9 resolution too, what if other games/anti-cheats classes this cursor lock as third party software that "gives me an advantage" in game? Nope, no thanks, I do not want to risk this with any other games.
I've tried disputing this, willing to show them absolutely everything but they just won't take it, the anti-cheat has flagged it as a cheat so they cannot undo it, there's no way around it. If you Google "cursor lock" it is literally the first thing that comes up, which is a shame I guess now...

I'm thinking of getting rid of the G9 and swapping it back to a multi-screen setup again, and this is where I would need your guys' recommendations. Would it be more ideal to go for a two screen setup or a three screen setup? What do you guys prefer in an ideal situation, is a three screen setup a nice thought but just not needed, or would it actually be good to have three screens?

Now you may not all know my situation, which I totally understand. I can cope with two screens as this is essentially what the G9 is, just without the border through the middle of it. Would a third screen be "cool" to add too?
My second question for this, would it be worth going for larger monitors than 27" if I'm going to 4K, or would 27" be fine? Desk space isn't an issue, so I could go with anything really I just don't want to go over the top with this.

What I have in mind right now is the U28G2XU although this is only 28", shall I push this up to 32" do you think, such as the M32U-EK? For the two side monitors (or even just one) I'm thinking of going down to 24" monitors, maybe such as the 24G2U. These are only 1080p monitors but I don't believe I should be going for a second 4K monitor, maybe a 1440p monitor at a push?

Let me know what you all think, I'm interested to hear what would be the preferred monitor setup. I need at least two monitors due to work, three would just be as a nice addon.

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So the time has possibly come, I'm thinking about swapping out my G9...
I've had this monitor just under a year now, and I've had a great gaming and working experience with it. The sheer size of the monitor still blows me away today, it's just an absolute beauty! However, a recent event has swayed me from continuing to use the G9 in the future, I've put the story below in the spoiler just in case you're not bothered for reading this etc.

I have been a huge fan of playing Valorant, and have been since it came out on Closed Beta. It may not be the best game to play on such a monitor so I got a Cursor Lock application to use so that I can have it in a simple 16:9 resolution and still be able to play the game without any issues. Now what the cursor lock did was essentially what it says on the tin...locks my cursor to the application I am on (so in this case, Valorant) so that I can't swing my mouse and click on the desktop, taking me out of the game which happened a lot before getting this application.
The other day, I received a permanent ban on Valorant for using "third party software", and the only thing that came straight to my mind was this cursor lock. I have spent a hefty amount of money on this game (unfortunately...) and have also been a huge supporter since it was released in the market. This permanent ban still has me shocked to this day as I'm being labelled a cheater by them, and this has really put me off using the cursor lock. Without the cursor lock this also ruins my experience for other games too that I'd like to play in 16:9 resolution too, what if other games/anti-cheats classes this cursor lock as third party software that "gives me an advantage" in game? Nope, no thanks, I do not want to risk this with any other games.
I've tried disputing this, willing to show them absolutely everything but they just won't take it, the anti-cheat has flagged it as a cheat so they cannot undo it, there's no way around it. If you Google "cursor lock" it is literally the first thing that comes up, which is a shame I guess now...

I'm thinking of getting rid of the G9 and swapping it back to a multi-screen setup again, and this is where I would need your guys' recommendations. Would it be more ideal to go for a two screen setup or a three screen setup? What do you guys prefer in an ideal situation, is a three screen setup a nice thought but just not needed, or would it actually be good to have three screens?

Now you may not all know my situation, which I totally understand. I can cope with two screens as this is essentially what the G9 is, just without the border through the middle of it. Would a third screen be "cool" to add too?
My second question for this, would it be worth going for larger monitors than 27" if I'm going to 4K, or would 27" be fine? Desk space isn't an issue, so I could go with anything really I just don't want to go over the top with this.

What I have in mind right now is the U28G2XU although this is only 28", shall I push this up to 32" do you think, such as the M32U-EK? For the two side monitors (or even just one) I'm thinking of going down to 24" monitors, maybe such as the 24G2U. These are only 1080p monitors but I don't believe I should be going for a second 4K monitor, maybe a 1440p monitor at a push?

Let me know what you all think, I'm interested to hear what would be the preferred monitor setup. I need at least two monitors due to work, three would just be as a nice addon.

Thanks!
I don't understand why you're playing in 16:9 though when valorant natively supports the G9, albeit in windowed mode? 21:9 would be far better for viewing angles in game, you'd see enemies and obstacles far sooner.

For multi monitor gaming, it's either 1 or 3, there's no such thing as 2 as the center view would be between bezels and pointless. Also, they all need to be the same resolution and will all operate at the same frequency, its basically treats them as one monitor.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I don't understand why you're playing in 16:9 though when valorant natively supports the G9, albeit in windowed mode?
Valorant looked very weird playing in 32:9, it was very stretched and made it quite distorting at times. I also put it down to 16:9 for streaming, so I could have OBS by the side and not having to tab out all the time to see chat/edit settings etc etc.
The full 32:9 looks amazing on games such as Assassins Creed, or MSFS, racing sims etc but just not enjoyable for FPS games

TomBerry

Bright Spark
But were you in full screen or windowed? Doesn't work full screen.
Full screen and full screen windowed made no difference, it was both 5120x1440. If in Fullscreen and it was changed to a lower resolution then it would stretch it out to still fit the full screen, which wasn't enjoyable. I managed a trick to get it to a lower resolution and have black bars, but still would need to be able to see OBS on the side which wasn't possible unless in Windowed mode

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Full screen and full screen windowed made no difference, it was both 5120x1440. If in Fullscreen and it was changed to a lower resolution then it would stretch it out to still fit the full screen, which wasn't enjoyable. I managed a trick to get it to a lower resolution and have black bars, but still would need to be able to see OBS on the side which wasn't possible unless in Windowed mode
Yeah, full screen isn't supported at the G9 resolution, but windowed mode is fully supported. I play valorant absolutely fine on the G9 with zero scaling issues.

I think you're kind of missing the point of Superwide, the idea is you have the extra viewing angles so you see enemies coming a lot sooner than other people. Any primary gaming monitor is only for the game, you wouldn't run any monitoring or stream apps on it, that defeats the purpose. You would have the game running windowed on the G9 to make use of the extra real estate, for any secondary apps, you have a separate screen above. Check out @Martinr36 setup which is exactly that but with an ultrawide rather than superwide and then 1440p on the top. For secondary screens, you don't need a gaming monitor, doesn't offer any advantage as the apps don't benfit at all from high refresh, so you just get a standard 60Hz.

If you're just looking for one screen for 16:9 and prefer that aspect ratio, then a secondary screen for OBS etc, then we can look into that, just making sure you're not misunderstanding how superwide works. If you're thinking that Valorant isn't supported on G9 resolution, that's not correct, you just have to know how to configure it, it's really easy. Same goes for almost any game in the last 5 years or so, they all natively support superwide as most games will now support up to 8k natively which is far higher than Superwide.

Multi monitor gaming is where you have 3 screens of the same resolution and refresh rate, and they're seen as one monitor so the game is spread on all 3, so if you had 3 16:9 screens, your aspect ratio would be 48:9, far higher than the 32:9 of the G9.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just additionally, if you wanted to play 16:9 games on superwide and have OBS entirely separate but on the same screen, that's what PIP and PBP are for, they essentially split the screen into multimonitors, so you would have 2 outputs from the GPU into the monitor and it treats it as 2 screens.

But again, you're missing out on the value of super;wide for gaming doing this. It makes much more sense just to have a dedicated screen for non gaming content such as OBS

Last edited:

steaky360

Just additionally, if you wanted to play 16:9 games on superwide and have OBS entirely separate but on the same screen, that's what PIP and PBP are for, they essentially split the screen into multimonitors, so you would have 2 outputs from the GPU into the monitor and it treats it as 2 screens.

But again, you're missing out on the value of super;wide for gaming doing this. It makes much more sense just to have a dedicated screen for non gaming content such as OBS
I've got myself a second monitor for other stuff(s) works really well (for me)... everyone's mileage may vary though.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Here you go as promised, my setup, Gigabyte M34WQ-EK, on the bottom with the 27 G5 up the top

1646653850134.jpeg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above really, the obvious answer is a cheap 60hz monitor for off screen.

I was also going to suggest PIP mode, which was covered in a review I watched a while back. Meant you could Fullscreen one half of the monitor with your game, and then move the cursor to the "2nd" monitor, which shouldn't cause the same issues you were noticing.

As also suggested, I think that would be a waste of the G9s potential though so it possibly just isn't the right fit for you :)