Mechanical Drive (new build)

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Hi Everyone

I took the plunge and ordered my second PC from pcs and I'm really pleased with it however the system doesn't appear to be recognising my mechanical drive. The m.2 drive and the Samsung EVO are working fine however Windows and the BIOS are not showing the third drive its a western digital black.

Plus looking on both sides of the case internally everything appears to be seated and plugged in admittedly I can't follow the drive cables to see where they go to easily as I'm using the carbide 540 and they mount on the floor at the bottom and disappear through the back. Any tips would be welcome as I'm currently 2 tb of storage down.

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
The first thing that kinda needs to be checked is that the power cable and the sata cable are properly plugged into the mechanical hard drive - sometimes unplugging and re-plugging them in can make all the difference, cos they may not be properly clicked into place.

If that doesn't help then you'll need to check whether the sata cables are properly plugged in to the motherboard - which will mean you'll have to try and follow the cables (you should be able to take off both sides of the case - and at some point later wonder where on earth that last screw for the cases sides is :)), though if you can follow one, the others are likely to be plugged in very close by.
Either that or find the manual for the motherboard (which should be in the welcome pack and online) and find out where the sata ports are and locate them that way and check each one.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Hi Rakk, many thanks for your reply last week. I have followed all of the sata and power cables, and they all look to be connected. The only issue i can see is that the corsair 540 air case has hot swap drive bays which plug into a fixed socket at the back of the drive bay/case itself.

Does anybody have experience with this case as the issue I can see is that the drive itself maybe doesn't sit low enough to plug into the sockets. I could be wrong of course as I've pulled the drive out and then plugged it in again.

Any further tips would be great otherwise I've got to send it back and have it looked at.

thanks

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I rang support and they fixed it, the drive had bumped lose in transit or build as it plugs into the case directly

thanks

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I thought I'd use this thread rather than start a new one.

I have a second issue. If I put the PC into sleep mode it will wake itself so when you come back to use the PC it is already awake and the fans and everything are all back up and running. I know some people may say that it could be that you've hit the mouse or keyboard accidentally but that's not the case as only a few moments ago i was in the same room and the PC did just start itself back up without any intervention. Something system related must be waking the system after a certain time period.

So in essence i have two problems: -

1. PC will wake itself up from sleep without being touched.

2. If this happens it also renders the mouse and keyboard useless and not able to accept any input.

On the flip side if i wake it up manually it all works fine (mouse and keyboard).

Very strange.

Any help would be great as at the moment i'm having to keep restarting the PC with the reset button to gain control again when this happens.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Awesome thankyou, I shall give them ago. Not sure why it kills my USB ports aswell regarding my keyboard and mouse issues above considering the system wakes itself from sleep. I imagine it's something in power options but I checked those and the usb are set to turn on again after sleep

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Device manager. In the USB properties disable allow windows to power down or sleep the device. May be worded slightly differently. Don't have my machine on to clarify.