Media PC For Parents

edward144

Hello a few months ago I bought a raspberry pi as a cheap way to allow my parents to watch the films/tv that I have stored on my PC. But recently I have noticed that it is having a few performance issues, with frame drops, buffering and sometimes freezing up altogether. So now I want to get a more powerful mini PC for them to use and use the pi as a server to stream to both my PC and the mini PC. I probably wont be getting anything for a few months, so it isn't a priority, but I would like some advice.

I really want it to be as cheap as possible. It needs to be as small and quiet as possible, with a HDMI output to connect to the TV, and it will be using OpenElec which is Linux based so no OS is necessary. The hard drive also isn't required so the generic 500gb will be fine. So far i have come up with:

Case
Inwin Mini-ITX BQ660 Case + 120W PSU (I have a 500w psu which I can replace with if more power is required)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Celeron® Dual Core Processor 1037U (1.80GHz) 2MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-C1037UN-EU: Intel NM70 Chipset, HDMI, 2 x Gigabit LAN
Memory (RAM)
2GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 2GB)
Graphics Card
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
2 x 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORTS
USB Options
4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days

What do you think? Would the Celeron be ok, or should I go for a Pentium/I3?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Worth noting that the 120w PSU will be small and you likely wont be able to just swap it fir your existing PSU.

If its just for them to stream media then the CPU will be fine, might benefit from a bit more RAM, not sure how much that OS takes up but 4Gb would be my guesstimate for a decent experience.