Mesh wifi

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
My google wifi router has started playing up and I'm reaching the point of no return with my patience trying to fix it. Out of warranty too. Its put me right off replacing like for like but the newer Google nest wifi might be better for all I know?

Anyway, anyone who knows much about about mesh wifi, what's the best?

steaky360

I have the BT Wholehome wifi mesh disc things here, they were the most cost effective means to get it setup for me at the time. They work fine and easily outperform my broadband speed. I wouldn't have a problem recommending them, but ultiamtely couldn't say they are worth it or not... I don't feel 'hard done by' or anything.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My google wifi router has started playing up and I'm reaching the point of no return with my patience trying to fix it. Out of warranty too. Its put me right off replacing like for like but the newer Google nest wifi might be better for all I know?

Anyway, anyone who knows much about about mesh wifi, what's the best?
The general go to's in mesh setups are:

Netgear Orbi
Amazon Eero
Google Nest Wifi
TPLink Deco

They're all excellent, it's mainly speeds that are higher the higher up you go.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them, all depends on your budget. Wifi 6 is worth trying for for futureproofing, but does increase the cost significantly.

I have the original Google Wifi and the whole experience is just a doddle. The most difficulty I had was that I had to set a double NAT between my router and the Google wifi network, but even that was a doddle after some googling. If you get a decent router though, you can just set it in bridged mode and avoid those issues, and the newer Nest wifi and latest gen products may well have gotten around those issues anyway.

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Have the ASUS ZenWifi (AC version) and it is rock solid with great throughout and long range. Only had it a couple of months so no long term review, but seems solid so far. 5GHz strength excellent. Seemless handoff between hubs.

SlimCini

Netgear Orbi
Amazon Eero
Google Nest Wifi
TPLink Deco

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them, all depends on your budget. Wifi 6 is worth trying for for futureproofing, but does increase the cost significantly.

I have the original Google Wifi and the whole experience is just a doddle. The most difficulty I had was that I had to set a double NAT between my router and the Google wifi network, but even that was a doddle after some googling. If you get a decent router though, you can just set it in bridged mode and avoid those issues, and the newer Nest wifi and latest gen products may well have gotten around those issues anyway.
Original Google wifi with a decent bridge modem is exactly what I have and had been working a dream for almost 24 months. But now since Friday I have 30second complete internet loss every 5minutes. Wifi connection always solid as a rock. That never goes anywhere. But the actual internet connection just disappears. And it's not the actual Internet to my house that's an issue as I've tested the modem and it its got internet signal. That remains solid. Something from the modem to Google wifi hub is causing a issue now after two years. After 30 seconds the internet comes back at full speed. Ad infinitum.

Going to do a factory reset later for the Google hub. If that doesn't work then try fiddling with DNS settings as that's all over reddit with lots of others with same problem. But some of the posts suggest it might be terminal and that others have never had a genuine fix from Google support. So might be abandoning google wifi for good if a reset and basic setting tweaking doesn't fix. Haven't got time for this type of thing. It just needs to almost plug and play in this day and age.

Tplink M5s look tempting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavras

Master Poster
I currently have Netgear Orbi and range is brilliant.

decided will be upgrading when we move house...(grrr solicitors lol) and go with their latest WiFi 6.

The range is great and that’s one of reason staying with Netgear Orbi, as the garden office is about 100 yards from house.

I have a ton of things hanging of my network (circa 20 items, will be even more when we move lol) and had zero problems.

Yes its more pricey than other mesh setups.

Over last 10 months my main life saver bits of tech have been, NAS drive, Netgear Mesh, Canon Pixma MG6150 and IPad Pro, the one thing they all in turn rely on is the Netgear Orbi Mesh.

Anyone looking at getting a Mesh Stem read lots of reviews from various reliable tech writers (I find some of the You Tube reviewers don’t quite understand the tech).

Also pick a WiFi 6 version.

Last edited:

SlimCini

I got moderated by a moderator for swearing. I feel like crying in shame :cry:

[text removed by ubuysa]

Ok that was a joke..... Promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimCini

Netgear Orbi
Amazon Eero
Google Nest Wifi
TPLink Deco

I've now had a good two hour period with no internet dropout whatsoever. I think the hub deciphered the messages I was typing on this forum and realised it was about to get culled. Some serious google AI shizzle going down in that box o_O

On a serious note, I don't get how a box can sit there for 24 months, have absolutely NO settings changed on it whatsoever but suddenly go through a three-day series of regular spaz outs and not work. And now, apparently out of nowhere start working again. It's like it's some sort of organic material. Or the wires in it have some sort of neuronal plasticity. Peckin' at my head this box.

Gavras

Master Poster
Original Google wifi with a decent bridge modem is exactly what I have and had been working a dream for almost 24 months. But now since Friday I have 30second complete internet loss every 5minutes. Wifi connection always solid as a rock. That never goes anywhere. But the actual internet connection just disappears. And it's not the actual Internet to my house that's an issue as I've tested the modem and it its got internet signal. That remains solid. Something from the modem to Google wifi hub is causing a issue now after two years. After 30 seconds the internet comes back at full speed. Ad infinitum.

Going to do a factory reset later for the Google hub. If that doesn't work then try fiddling with DNS settings as that's all over reddit with lots of others with same problem. But some of the posts suggest it might be terminal and that others have never had a genuine fix from Google support. So might be abandoning google wifi for good if a reset and basic setting tweaking doesn't fix. Haven't got time for this type of thing. It just needs to almost plug and play in this day and age.

Tplink M5s look tempting.
I don’t think the Tplinks are any good for gaming.

One of the big differences between okay mesh setups and good mesh setups is the load capability of the system.

couple mobiles, couple tablets, PC, Laptop, Alexa / Google Assistant, smart plugs, alarm system, cameras, Sonos, NAS, smart Garage door, etc.

with all the above on with a good system, you should still be able to game okay.