Microphone Currently unavailable

Corfate

Author Level
Ugh, got the new card this morning, same problem. Won't pick up anything from the microphone when plugged into the soundcard :(

Right, got off the phone with Mustafa again, tried some more things, not worked :( Said the last thing to try would be to reinstall windows unfortunately. Hesitant to do this, as i've got everything, such as iTunes etc on here. No idea how i'd transfer like 50GB of data over etc. One thought is, could i copy it all onto an external HDD, reinstall windows, then paste it all back over?

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Did you try the drivers from the Asus website rather then from the install disk?
Xonar_DG Drivers

Make sure the front panel mic option is unchecked in the sounds option of the control panel. When I installed mine that option got enable for some reason and the mic wasn't working
I am using un official drivers for my creative sound card as official are not fully supported by win 7 64bit.

Corfate

Author Level
Did you try the drivers from the Asus website rather then from the install disk?
Xonar_DG Drivers

Make sure the front panel mic option is unchecked in the sounds option of the control panel. When I installed mine that option got enable for some reason and the mic wasn't working
I am using un official drivers for my creative sound card as official are not fully supported by win 7 64bit.

Aye, tried from the disk and online :(

Tried literally everything :( Bleh.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
awww gutted dude, i'd drop asus an email, sounds really strange, is it the exact same problem?

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
im sure i have had the same problem on my laptop before, just cant for the life of me remember what i did. Will try and have a poke around see if my brain kicks in!

if i remember i will let you in on it!

Hey mate, I feel your pain...I HATE sound card problems! :mad: They're very hard to troubleshoot without being on the pc directly too. :(

Looking at your screenshot, your line-in is 'ready' and has the little volume squares to the right so that's working, but as far as I'm reading, that soundcard seems to have only the one input which covers both line-in and mic (one or the other). Have you tried disabling line-in?

Another thing to try is to plug a set of headphones into the mic socket, in case it's a problem with your mic, and see if you can get any volume response (you probably won't be able to hear it if it does work but you'll see the volume level jump up a green square or two).

What type of mic have you? And is it mono or stereo? Is the input jack for the same (mono or stereo)??

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Worse case scenario, wait for me to come in tuesday next week and I'll take a look, reinstalls should always be last case scenario in my opinion, or I'll try and give you a shout tomorrow.

Corfate

Author Level
Hey mate, I feel your pain...I HATE sound card problems! :mad: They're very hard to troubleshoot without being on the pc directly too. :(

Looking at your screenshot, your line-in is 'ready' and has the little volume squares to the right so that's working, but as far as I'm reading, that soundcard seems to have only the one input which covers both line-in and mic (one or the other). Have you tried disabling line-in?

Another thing to try is to plug a set of headphones into the mic socket, in case it's a problem with your mic, and see if you can get any volume response (you probably won't be able to hear it if it does work but you'll see the volume level jump up a green square or two).

What type of mic have you? And is it mono or stereo? Is the input jack for the same (mono or stereo)??

Nah, the mic is fine mate. Works in the Front panel and the mobo, just seems the soundcard won't pick it up for some reason. Tried with another headset, still doesn't pick it up :( Headphones work a treat, perfect 5.1 surround. Im using the Tritton PC510's :) 5.1 surround :) Separate jacks, mic, headphone, center and sub :)

Cheers Jak! Appreciate it :)

No worries mate.
Just to reiterate, you can have only one input active at a time.
You have 'Line-in' active in the screenshot. In that case, mic will be disabled (so Line-In needs to be disabled to enable mic). It's not showing in the screenie but if you have 'SPDIF In' (digital input) active, that will need to be disabled too (under windows sound options in Control Panel).

Your front panel would need to be disabled too, to enable rear input.

Now that Line-in (and maybe SPDIF too) are disabled in Windows Control Panel, is there an option to 'enable' the Mic on right-click? Make sure there are no audio devices hidden and taking preference.

Forgot to mention, Windows update KB974431 can also affect the mic on certain systems. Try uninstalling this if you have it and reboot and test the mic again. If it works, you should be able to re-install the update without it breaking the mic again.

Corfate

Author Level
The tiny button in red needed the input to be changed from front panel to the back :p I remember faffing round in the mixer settings, clicking on that button but thinking nothing of it at all :p

mic%2520setting.png

micsetting.png

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the info. Just installed the Asus Xonar DX. I am still trying to understand how the Xonar DX audio center works. Everything things to work on the Audio center but I cannot get the volume to work, if I need to change the volume I need to do it by using the volume mixer from windows.