Microsoft Keyboard and Mice - Windows 7 - IntelliPoint and IntelliType and Crashing!

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Hello there boys and girls,

Recently in support centre we have had a number of customers calling with the following problems:

Blue screens
Freezes
General crashing
Low frame rates in games on performance systems

...and all sorts of different errors, alot of these customers have something in common, so I thought I would stick this here so people can see it and try this before calling if you happen to have such a device.

Now, before we go into it, I'm not saying do not buy Microsoft keyboards and mice, and its not a slander of them, they are good, and I personally recommend their hardware but it is one about their software.

If you have had issues like this and you own a Microsoft Keyboard and mouse, please check in the Programs and Features menu in Windows, look for IntelliPoint and IntelliType, either, both, or one of. Uninstall it. To get to this screen please do the following:

Start --> Control Panel --> Uninstall a Program/Programs and Features.

If you can't see it in here, you may also want to try this:

Do the above, then go to 'View installed updates'. Look through the ones for Microsoft Windows, and uninstall them if you see them.

Now the fact is that the keyboards and mice will work FINE without the software and the software just gives you a UI and couple of extra features based on not a lot, so you won't be missing anything.

As far as I am aware this does not affect the MS gaming hardware

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

JO53PHS

I understand this software is needed if you want to re-assign shortcut keys, but is it required to make the shortcut keys perform their default functions (i.e. Email button)?

I'm thinking of buying this keyboard, but it could be annoying if the silver shortcut buttons don't work

JO53PHS

Just bought the keyboard I mentioned above... all of the predefined shortcut buttons (email, windows media controls, home page button) work fine. Thanks for your reply anyway.

There are shortcut keys 1-5 which look like they can be customised, but other than being able to do that, Intellitype doesn't seem to do a lot.

I'd rather be lacking in shortcuts than be suffering from BSODs and slow performance.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
You can always load the software and give it a try, if using the software causes issues, just simply uninstall it.