Microsoft Security Update Problem

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this in.

13 April 2013
Microsoft has recalled a recent Security Update - KB2823324, as it may cause serious problems on Windows 7 systems. If your system doesn't recover from a restart, or applications cannot load, then follow these instructions to uninstall the update and resolve the issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

This is why I like to do all updates manually and not straight away, luckily I hadn't got round to doing this one yet, so haven't actually been affected myself. Anyone have a problem?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this in.

13 April 2013
Microsoft has recalled a recent Security Update, as it may cause serious problems on Windows 7 systems. If your system doesn't recover from a restart, or applications cannot load, then follow these instructions to uninstall the update and resolve the issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

This is why I like to do all updates manually and not straight away, luckily I hadn't got round to doing this one yet, so haven't actually been affected myself. Anyone have a problem?

Thanks for the heads-up but the actual update you need to uninstall is KB2823324. Sadly if, like me, you run Ccleaner or a similar tool, the uninstall info required many have been deleted. I'm going to restore my most recent disk image to get rid of this update....

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah that is the update KB2823324, specified in the link, the number ON the link just refers to the article about the problem. I should have made that clearer. Best to uninstall that update even if you aren't having any problems yet, otherwise if you get trouble in the future you might not know what's causing it.

Rakk

The Awesome

Well, I've got mine set to automatic updates, and I know mine did a bunch of updates on Thurs night, but I don't see that security update in my list of updates, possibly I had it but since it was recalled, its not here anymore - I do see a bunch of other security updates from Thurs.

Edit: looking at the second post, I do have that update (KB2823324), hasn't caused an issue for me so far.

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
Best to get rid of it anyway, better safe than sorry. A problem that can stop you even booting will be hard to sort out IF it does start causing trouble. Oh and cheers visonally impaired Duk

Last edited: