Mid range desktop for general productivity and gaming (£1500ish)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Quick bump for this one...

Any of the cases currently available that would be a worthwhile upgrade on the NZXT H511?
The CoolerMaster MasterCase H500M is a belter but it’s over £100 more. Keep your eyes peeled for any more coming in during your pre-production phase and bump the thread again if you want opinions 👍

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
The CoolerMaster MasterCase H500M is a belter but it’s over £100 more. Keep your eyes peeled for any more coming in during your pre-production phase and bump the thread again if you want opinions 👍
Thanks!

I can live with £100 more as I'm hoping this rig will last me for many years AND something I can perhaps upgrade when that becomes neccecary.. But yes, you idea of waiting appeals to me. There's got to be one upside to the fact that I probably have to wait for a good while here. :)

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster

So, having another look at cases today...

The H500M looks terrific, though could someone enlighten me as to what makes it the best part of £100 more expensive than the Cooler Master TD500 or even something like the Corsair 465X?

Great to see more options to chose from now than back when I was putting this together! :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
So, having another look at cases today...

The H500M looks terrific, though could someone enlighten me as to what makes it the best part of £100 more expensive than the Cooler Master TD500 or even something like the Corsair 465X?

Great to see more options to chose from now than back when I was putting this together! :)
It’s a little overpriced but it is a great case. Those whopping great fans, the mesh front and lots of little vents means it’s got a beastly amount of airflow contributing to great thermal performance. It seems to perform acoustically well too, so it won’t sound like you’ve got an Apache attack helicopter sat on your desk 👍

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
It’s a little overpriced but it is a great case. Those whopping great fans, the mesh front and lots of little vents means it’s got a beastly amount of airflow contributing to great thermal performance. It seems to perform acoustically well too, so it won’t sound like you’ve got an Apache attack helicopter sat on your desk 👍

Thanks again!

I suppose it makes sense to make sure I have a big case with good thermals when my idea is that I want to be able to upgrade certain components a few years down the line!

This is might be an odd/difficult request: Are there any cases I should be keeping an eye out for beyond the ones that are available right now? In order words, does it make sense to wait or should I just amend my order and add the H500M now? I suppose I can always change the order again in the future, I don't expect I'll be in the build phase for a while yet...

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks again!

I suppose it makes sense to make sure I have a big case with good thermals when my idea is that I want to be able to upgrade certain components a few years down the line!

This is might be an odd/difficult request: Are there any cases I should be keeping an eye out for beyond the ones that are available right now? In order words, does it make sense to wait or should I just amend my order and add the H500M now? I suppose I can always change the order again in the future, I don't expect I'll be in the build phase for a while yet...
The 465X and 680X by Corsair that are both currently available are cracking cases, good options to have.

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
The 465X and 680X by Corsair that are both currently available are cracking cases, good options to have.

Any chance PCS will offer the Lian Li O11 at some point? I guess that's hard for you to answer, so let me rephrase, has PCS offered the Lian Li O11 in the past?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Any chance PCS will offer the Lian Li O11 at some point? I guess that's hard for you to answer, so let me rephrase, has PCS offered the Lian Li O11 in the past?
They haven’t done it yet but I really hope they do in future, it’s such a stunning case 😍

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
They haven’t done it yet but I really hope they do in future, it’s such a stunning case 😍

Yeah looks amazing, and from the tests I can see online its thermals are better than the side mounted fans would suggest... Alright, if they haven't stocked it before then odds of it suddently turning up over then next couple of weeks isn't great.

I like the aesthetics of the Corsair 680x quite a lot more than the CoolerMaster H500M, but the latter seems to have significantly better thermal performance. So that's something to ponder...

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
Starting to get a little bit concerned about this now. My order has been in "processing" for 11 working days, which is rather more than the maxium of six mentioned on the flow chart. Payment has departed my acccount so that can't be what the hold up is about.

Am obviously prepared to wait for the parts on the build that there might be a shortage of, but if that's what I was waiting for should I not be in "Pre-Production"?

Citrus_9

Expert
Starting to get a little bit concerned about this now. My order has been in "processing" for 11 working days, which is rather more than the maxium of six mentioned on the flow chart. Payment has departed my acccount so that can't be what the hold up is about.

Am obviously prepared to wait for the parts on the build that there might be a shortage of, but if that's what I was waiting for should I not be in "Pre-Production"?
You're being waaayyyy too optimistic. Welcome to the club. Relax and enjoy waiting ;)

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
I think you have misunderstood there...the poster is concerned that he ordered the system and, 11 working days later, despite payment leaving his bank, the funds haven't arrived at PCS given it is still showing processing. Given that the normal time is 5-7 days and accounting for a few days over Christmas and New Year, it is still a little long

Yeah exactly this. Since some of the parts in my build are in short supply I'm not expecting to be in build any time soon. But 11 days of processing seems odd?

Could be PCS are just completely bogged down with orders over the holiday season?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah exactly this. Since some of the parts in my build are in short supply I'm not expecting to be in build any time soon. But 11 days of processing seems odd?

Could be PCS are just completely bogged down with orders over the holiday season?
It's likely the financial side of things, working days over the past week or so haven't been typical working days, everything grinds to a halt around xmas and new year. So I suspect that now everybody is back to work you should see an update in the next couple of days.

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
It's likely the financial side of things, working days over the past week or so haven't been typical working days, everything grinds to a halt around xmas and new year. So I suspect that now everybody is back to work you should see an update in the next couple of days.

Fair enogh, I'll go back to trying to make up my mind on the geat H500M vs 680x conundrum. 😅

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
<whispers quietly and seductively> 680x, 680x, 680x, The H500M is the Devil in disguise, 680x, 680x, 680x, the 680x is an Angel which will sing to you harmoniously while the H500M will talk you into doing unholy acts.

Is any of that helping? ;)

I mean the 680x is prettier but the H500M surely must be a better performer in terms of thermals since it has that front mesh?

Chosing between one that's prettier and one that should be a more reliable performer? This is like being single again.

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster
Now a Moderator has spoken, it is decided..... @lsi003 must buy the 680x or be banned from the forum ;)

I jest of course...you are free to buy whicever case you like...you can get the 680x or you can get...the 680x...the choice is yours

To quote Henry Ford "you can have any case you like as long as it's the 680x" :ROFLMAO:(In case you aren't aware, he would famously tell his salespeople "you can have any colour you like as long as it's black" to stop them asking for different variants of the Model T

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well given that my starting position here mentally was that I felt like I wanted the 680x more - but the H500M seemed a more rational choice - I am delighted to be talked into the 680x haha.

Should I consider getting some extra cooling measures or will the stock fans do for my decidedly mid-range build?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now a Moderator has spoken, it is decided..... @lsi003 must buy the 680x or be banned from the forum ;)

I jest of course...you are free to buy whicever case you like...you can get the 680x or you can get...the 680x...the choice is yours

To quote Henry Ford "you can have any case you like as long as it's the 680x" :ROFLMAO:(In case you aren't aware, he would famously tell his salespeople "you can have any colour you like as long as it's black" to stop them asking for different variants of the Model T
There are a couple of other Henry Ford quotes that I particularly like:

Don't find fault, find a remedy. I always used to tell the people working for me never to bring me problems, bring me solutions.

Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them. This translates well to Windows, often a clean install is the quickest way to a solution.

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. 'Nuf said?

Ok, three quotes then. ☺️

There is one famous Henry Ford quote that I fundamentally disagree with:

History is bunk. I disagree because the man (or people, or nations) who doesn't learn from his past mistakes is doomed to repeat them.

lsi003

Bronze Level Poster

...aaand the very next day I'm in pre-production!

Tell me, @AgentCooper, would you happen to have the lottery numbers as well?