Mini-PC Gaming and Overheating

Strebor

Hey, my spec is posted below. Basically I would quite like a mini-pc for convenience purposes as it would make taking it back and forth between uni and my hometown on the train a lot easier. However I am quite concerned with overheating. I've been looking and looking for ages and can't seem to find anything conclusive on their cooling capabilities. I would be using it for gaming and it would likely be used for many hours at a time. Does anybody have any first hand experience with a gaming rig of a similar standard and it's cooling? The life of my PC is more important than worrying about transporting it, so if the temps are going to be a lot higher then I would rather just get a tower. Does anybody have any links for information on mini-pc cooling? I would also like to overclock the processor in the future, but this is not imperative, would this be possible with a mini-pc?

Any info or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Jake

Case
Xigmatek Gigas Gaming Cube Case (Black)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8H77-I: Mini-ITX, LG1155, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The h40 will allow you to overclock the CPU but if it is for gaming I would just go with an i5-3570 (non-k) and put more emphasis the gpu. The coolermaster haf XB allows you to add more chassis fans than the case you selected, if you are worry about beating you coud consider the haf XB instead.

Reactions: PCS