Minimum requirements for home recording

iangev

Hi, I need a min requirements spec or to spec a build on a budget for home recording.

My intention is to record overdubs of maybe 16 tracks. I have managed satisfactory results on a non purpose built machine albeit cumbersome, but want to upgrade.

I am recording live instruments, acoustic guitar, vocals through mic e.t.c., as well as electric instruments like keys and bass. I have the line six toneport ux2 as an interface.

What would be my minimum requirements for such a build or buy that would handle this comfortably? Would an "off the shelf" model be sufficient?

Computer jargon is not my strength, essentially I make music but want to learn.

Thank you and any guidence would be much appreciated.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I have no idea what the minimum you can realistically get away with is, and I'm not sure if anyone else on the forum could tell you either (they might, but this sounds very specific..).

The minimum requirements specified for the software you use could be a starting point, although these always seem to be very low and may not match up to what you're doing.

What's the current spec you are using exactly? Perhaps it will be easiest to suggest a new system comparing it to your old one.

And what's your budget, roughly? If it's £2000, you probably don't need all of that.. if it's £300 you probably won't be able to afford a system worth buying for your needs.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
As Oussebon said a budget would be useful but 16GB RAM I think is the lowest starting point for music and RAM is not cheep at the moment. Whar are you like with computers? If you are willing to go with Linux there is money to be saved on not paying for a Microsoft licence and, more importantly, you can get a dedicated Studio distro with a low latency kernel which is a big help for music production. Ubuntu Studio comes with a lot of useful free software, including Ardour, one of the best multi-track recording programs.

iangev

Hi, thanks for the replies. My budget is probably around the £600 mark because I wish to buy a good mic too. I was hoping for a windows o/s because it's what I'm used to and I don't like change lol. If I look at a gaming p.c. and then strip down on the graphics a little and up on processer and ram, could that be a way to go? I was hoping for i7, whatever that means, just was advised it from somewhere. Not sure what my current spec is as I'm not sure how to find out. (I said I wasn't great with computer jargen and know how) Thanks again.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Not sure what my current spec is as I'm not sure how to find out. (I said I wasn't great with computer jargen and know how) Thanks again.

Easiest way is probably to download Speccy (free) and post a screenshot / upload a screenshot to a site like imgur and post a link here.

Speccy: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard

The below is my system, so yours will have different details but a similar layout:
Speccy.png

An i7 CPU on a £600 budget for a system is quite ambitious - possibly unrealistic. But if you post up your current spec, people can suggest some options around £600 and give you an idea of how much of an upgrade that will be so you can decide whether or not it's worth buying :)

Last edited: