Missing Hard drive

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
Since installing the new Graphic Card, I had to move some SATA cables around due to one of the SATA slot been covered by the new Graphic Card (SATA2).

I have 2 HDD recognised which are on SATA1 SATA2 but its not showing up the HDD on the SATA4 or SATA5 port.

The HDD is not showing up in the BIOS too.

Anyone got any ideas around this problem?

Sweeney47

this may or may not work but it worked when my media card reader decided to not exist. Turn off your PC, unplug it and press and hold the power button 20 secs, plug in, turn on again :D

P

PCRepair

Please check the cables on the back of the hard drive and ensure they are fitted properly. If this does not work then is it possible to put the HDD on SATA3? If this is not possible then can you tell us which motherboard you have and we can look into it.

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
I've checked all the cables are in place, it was the first thing I did.

Motherboard ASUS® M4N78: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 3 x PCI

WhatCanIKeep?

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

If you turn on your computer and after hearing the boot post beep, please start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard until you get the Boot Menu, please reply back with what it says in that list.

Thank you

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Also, try disconnecting both the power cable and also the data cable at both ends, then reconnect and try again.

P

PCRepair

Please enter the BIOS and on the main page go down to Storage Confiruaration and press enter where you will have a bunch of options. Please set Onboard PCI IDE Controller to Disabled and make sure the OnChip SATA Controller is set to enabled and SATA Mode select is set to SATA Mode.

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
OK I've tried all the suggestions on here still notthing.

The system only recognise 2 HDD and on the BIOS there is SATA1 SATA2 SATA3 eSATA but no SATA4 or SATA5 (But on the motherboard it self there is SATA1 to SATA5 (Which is clearly marked on the motherboard))

P

PCRepair

Please try enabling RAID, I think that will activate SATA5 and 6.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Just go into SATA configuration, should let you change the type of port that it sees on 1-4 and 5-6 - make sure they are both set to IDE mode

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
ok the raid as spotted my hdd but since I've lack knowledge and experience with the whole raid set up I've just unplugged the HDD from the SATA port and power.
At lest I've found it thanks to you guys.

I've been planning on upgrading the HDD to a 1 600GB Rapture HDD and 1 external HDD for storage.