MoAppCrash (Cortana)

paul1224

In Windows Reliability Report I have all of a sudden started getting Runtime Broker errors almost every 10 minutes or so that is attached to Cortana.

I don't use Cortana and have a lot of my options disabled regarding privacy and nothing happened with my system or Windows updates to coincide with these errors that I'm aware of.

I'm not having system problems and my system is running ok but just wondered if anyone had experience of these errors and how to stop them?

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The RuntimeBroker is part of the Universal App platform (what we used to call Metro apps), its job is to check the permissions that Universal Apps declare. Since you don't use Cortana and have its options disabled you could safely ignore these, though you might also try disabling all the other nonsense garbage that Windows 10 wants to deliver; turn off all notifications to see whether that stop these errors and then re-enable just the ones you want if it does. Turning off 'Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows' is reported to stop a lot of RuntimeBroker activity.

paul1224

Many thanks for the reply. I've disabled most of the options regarding security and the 'Get tips' section but errors still appear.

I'll tinker about a bit more and see if I can get the errors to stop by changing some settings but if not as no performance issue I'll just ignore those errors.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Many thanks for the reply. I've disabled most of the options regarding security and the 'Get tips' section but errors still appear.

I'll tinker about a bit more and see if I can get the errors to stop by changing some settings but if not as no performance issue I'll just ignore those errors.
Is there anything useful in the Event Log perhaps?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've never really used Event Log so not really sure what to be looking for.
Open it by entering the command eventvwr.msc in the Run box. Maximise it so it fills the screen. The bit you're interested in is in the top pane of the middle section - Summary Of Administrative Events.

Click on the + sign next to Critical and Error to expand these sections, these are all the problem events that have been logged. If you double-click each one you'll see the details of that error. You're looking for one with a date & time stamp around the time of the errors you see in the Reliability Report. Ideally you're looking for errors written by (or for) the RuntimeBroker, if you're lucky you'll get an error code (eg 0x8007C07F) and a web search for that error code with RuntimeBroker might help....