Modular PSU or SSD

MrJaek

Sup guys, I'm going for the Fractal R3 case and wondered whether to get a 60gb Vertex 2 SSD boot drive, or because im wanting SLI in a slightly smaller case that isn't all about ventalation, get a 1000w modular PSU for better airflow and less clutter. Halp.

super confused

x

LinearHD

Rising Star
If you want to get SLI, I'd suggest getting a case with excellent airflow (HAF 922, CM690II or Antec 902). This would then allow you to get the SSD bootrive along with a regular PSU.

Teaz

Godlike
depends whats more worth for you. the caviar black drives are copable speeds which aint too bad. in real life i think the psu would be the wiser option. As LinearHD had said the fractical is a really good case but with a multigpu setup in there, its ambient temps could rise a bit. so the psu would be a better option.

MrJaek

the reason i am getting the fractal is beause of the silencing and the simplistic monolithic design, i dont want anything too vulgar!!

Teaz

Godlike
Then there isnt anything wrong to go for the fractical.

If you think your gona sli very soon then grab the psu. but which sli config are you going for? If not sli anytime soon the the ssd would suit you well.

Teaz

Godlike
what are the specs you plan to get? cause normally 2 560s just need about a 750psu an that has alot of breathing space.

Teaz

Godlike
a 750psu would be plenty :) unless you want it long lasting then you could source yourself a gold certified 850 or 750 psu and send it to pcs an they will fit it for you. like the corsair ax850 psu.

MrJaek

i think i am going to go for the 750 modular and leave my WD Caviar Black as a boot drive, that sound any good?

Teaz

Godlike
the TX850 will have alot more breathing room but the HX750 will have better reliability voltages and energy efficency than the TX850 but you cant go wrong with either PSUs as they are both real good quality built PSUs that will last you many years.