Monitor Advice needed

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
Hello everyone.
Well I've just ordered a new pc with the spec below but really can't deceide on a monitor. Ideally would like a 27inch monitor. Either 1080 or 1440.
It doesn't have to be one sold from here as I'm open to options.

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z97-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Quantity

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Iiyama offers a 27" with both 1080 and 1440 resolutions. You could also get a 1440 resolution Asus monitor but it is more expensive than iiyama.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
The Dell Ultrasharp series are good ones to look at.

I did recently read reviews on the latest 4k panels in the 'Custom PC' mag I'm subscribed to but unfortunately I don't have it handy as I am at work. I'll have a look when I get home as most of those panels were 27 inch and would be perfect for your build although they were all around the £500 mark.

A314159

Super Star
The Dell Ultrasharp series are good ones to look at.

I did recently read reviews on the latest 4k panels in the 'Custom PC' mag I'm subscribed to but unfortunately I don't have it handy as I am at work. I'll have a look when I get home as most of those panels were 27 inch and would be perfect for your build although they were all around the £500 mark.

"Work"

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
I've deceided to go for a 24inch screen but there seems to be so many options out there.
I only really want to use it for gaming.

Venomania

BenQ XL2411Z 24-inch LED Gaming Monitor on Amazon, £240. It's the one used at competition events for FPS games. I have the 27" variant and I'm incredibly happy with it.

Last edited:

Venomania

"Asus VX279Q 27-inch Widescreen IPS Monitor - Black" is £220 on Amazon. If you shop around I'm sure you can get IPS monitors for around that price. However I can't guarantee how good they will be, nor that the site you purchase from is reputable. Try and purchase from a known site. Even if it means spending an extra few quid. You won't get anything particularly decent for that price point, but they will do their job just fine.

Venomania

First I've ever heard that. My 27" monitor is 1080p and looks fantastic. I'd be more fixated on response time, colour reproduction and refresh rate. A 1-3ms response time and a refresh rate of 120+ would be ideal if you're into FPS. A refresh rate of 120+ will look more fluid in general regardless of whatever you're doing.

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Would a 27inch monitor need to be 1440p? As I read somewhere it wouldn't look great if it was 1080p.

Depends how close you sit to it.

27" 1080p, the ideal minimum distance is at least 6 feet away really. Any closer and you'll benefit from 1440p (ie. 1080p would still look great but if you went up to a 1440p for a while and then back down to a 1080p then you'd notice the 1080p being inferior). Any closer than 4 feet and you'll then notice the benefit of a 4k.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
I think I'll be sitting closer than 6ft away.
The iiyama 24inch has a refresh rate of 144hz which I'm leaning towards.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I think I'll be sitting closer than 6ft away.
The iiyama 24inch has a refresh rate of 144hz which I'm leaning towards.

I should reinforce... that wasn't me saying that a 1080p is worthless at 6ft or closer... it will still look great. It's more to say that a 1440p would be noticeably better.

Venomania

I'd like to iterate on this point. Unless you're the type of person who can look at screenshots and say the difference between high and ultra is huge, and point out all the jaggies (that I can't even see) you will not notice a real applicable difference. Just look for 1080p and if one happens to be 1440p for the same price then yay benefit. Not really something you should spend a lot more for though.

You need a pretty decent PC to then run at the higher res and maintain good FPS. All depends on your choice of games though. If all you play is League of Legends you don't need a particularly good PC to pull that off. The major benefit of the extra pixels is more screen space. The refresh rate though does make a noticeable difference. It's not something we can explain either. It's like going from membrane to mechanical with your keyboard. 120hz+ refresh makes a big difference on how smooth the image looks.

Like I said earlier, go for a nice 1080p 120hz+ monitor. You can get some decent ones.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
Looking at the monitors on the Pcs website. The24" IIYAMA GB2488HSU-B1 seems to tick al the boxes. Has anyone had one before?

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
I still haven't made my mind up yet.
How much worse is the picture on a tn display than IPS?
I've got a budget of max £200 but really don't know what to buy.
Definitely has to be 24inch though.