Monitor compatibility with PCS laptop

My laptop bought from here a couple of years ago has the specification below. I want to run 2 monitors, one via the HDMI port and another connected to a USB to HDMI adaptor.

What would be the max specced monitors that I could use with this? i was hoping to go for 2 x AOC Q27G2E, 27" (2560 x 1440 @ 155Hz). An alternate option would be 2 x iiyama 27" ProLite XUB2792QSU-B6 (2560 x 1440 @ 100Hz). Would I be able to run either of these options at their full resolution and capacity?

Thanks in advance

Laptop specs:
Chassis & Display
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You would need to check if the USB-C port has display or not, is there a symbol next to the port?

Does the laptop not have mini-DP connections?

The GPU should run those monitors to their spec OK, don't expect that sort of refresh in high end gaming though. Desktop and apps.... sure.

You would need to check if the USB-C port has display or not, is there a symbol next to the port?

Does the laptop not have mini-DP connections?

The GPU should run those monitors to their spec OK, don't expect that sort of refresh in high end gaming though. Desktop and apps.... sure.

USB-C port does indeed have display (tested with a spare monitor. I used a USB-C hub with an HDMI adapter, but was thinking of getting one of these to run directly from the USB slot. Hopefully that would give the full advertised refresh rate.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
USB-C port does indeed have display (tested with a spare monitor. I used a USB-C hub with an HDMI adapter, but was thinking of getting one of these to run directly from the USB slot. Hopefully that would give the full advertised refresh rate.
There's a few things worth highlighting firstly.

Why do you want 2 x high refresh displays? Even if you are using them for gaming, only one would be using high refresh, the other wouldn't be over 60fps, so getting a second high refresh is unecessary.

That cable is suspect, you have to be careful on Amazon as there are a lot of fakes. It States support for Apple, Surface Pro and other thunderbolt connectors, but thunderbolt isn't present on standard USB C, only on USB 4.

But nevertheless, going from USB C to HDMI is adding needless conversion.

If you're certain that that port is Display Port over USB C, then the best way would be to use a USB C to Display port cable as that's not doing any conversion, and any monitor these days has display port, and go with a known brand.

But display port is the standard PC connection for monitors, HDMI is more for connecting to TV's or media centres.

There's a few things worth highlighting firstly.

Why do you want 2 x high refresh displays? Even if you are using them for gaming, only one would be using high refresh, the other wouldn't be over 60fps, so getting a second high refresh is unecessary.

That cable is suspect, you have to be careful on Amazon as there are a lot of fakes. It States support for Apple, Surface Pro and other thunderbolt connectors, but thunderbolt isn't present on standard USB C, only on USB 4.

But nevertheless, going from USB C to HDMI is adding needless conversion.

If you're certain that that port is Display Port over USB C, then the best way would be to use a USB C to Display port cable as that's not doing any conversion, and any monitor these days has display port, and go with a known brand.

But display port is the standard PC connection for monitors, HDMI is more for connecting to TV's or media centres.

That's really useful, thank you.
The laptop has 1 x HDMI, 1 x Mini DP, 1 x DP via USB-C

So my best bet is Mini DP to DP, and USB-C to DP? Would that enable me to run both Iiyama monitors at 100Hz? (excuse my dimness!)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's really useful, thank you.
The laptop has 1 x HDMI, 1 x Mini DP, 1 x DP via USB-C

So my best bet is Mini DP to DP, and USB-C to DP for the 2 monitors? (excuse my dimness!)
I would just use the 2 actual display ports, use one HDMI to HDMI for the secondary monitor which isn't benefitting from high refresh. Then use mini dp to dp for the primary gaming monitor.

Leave the USB C for peripherals and drives which is far more valuable for it.

I would just use the 2 actual display ports, use one HDMI to HDMI for the secondary monitor which isn't benefitting from high refresh. Then use mini dp to dp for the primary gaming monitor.

Brilliant. Thanks very much.

Also, I'm not using it for gaming, mainly video editing and audio sequencing work. So purely going for 1440 for more screen real estate. From my specs, should it be able to run 2 x 1440s?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also, I'm not using it for gaming, mainly video editing and audio sequencing work. So purely going for 1440 for more screen real estate. From my specs, should it be able to run 2 x 1440s?
In that case, those aren't the right monitors, they're gaming monitors which means high refresh rate and quick response time, but poor colour accuracy and definition. Nothing you're doing would trigger over 60fps, or require quick input reaction, so it's entirely wasted.

You can get a far better professional monitor that focusses on colour accuracy and a better IPS panel.

What's your budget for the monitors?

But yes, it can easily handle 2 x 1440p monitors.

In that case, those aren't the right monitors, they're gaming monitors which means high refresh rate and quick response time, but poor colour accuracy and definition. Nothing you're doing would trigger over 60fps, or require quick input reaction, so it's entirely wasted.

You can get a far better professional monitor that focusses on colour accuracy and a better IPS panel.

What's your budget for the monitors?

But yes, it can easily handle 2 x 1440p monitors.
I'm the definition of "hobbyist".
£500 tops for the pair?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm the definition of "hobbyist".
£500 tops for the pair?
Even hobbyist though, you wouldn't pay a premium for things you're never going to use.

IMHO, 4k is absolutely necessary for any video editing work these days, the scrubber window and all the tool sets take up an enormous amount of space on their own. With 4k you have the real estate to have a really good uncluttered layout.

To be honest, even DAWS these days take up an enormous amount of space if you're doing anything over 5 or so channels.

Can you get the clevo chassis model number from the label on the underside of the laptop? I just want to be sure of the maximum resolution capable on that chassis, reason being is that after a quick search, both Samsung and LG are doing offers at the moment for 4k IPS panels so you could get 2 within budget which may be a far better option. Just want to be certain before committing to anything

But either way will list 2 x 1440p options and 2 x 4k if the chassis can handle it.

Even hobbyist though, you wouldn't pay a premium for things you're never going to use.

IMHO, 4k is absolutely necessary for any video editing work these days, the scrubber window and all the tool sets take up an enormous amount of space on their own. With 4k you have the real estate to have a really good uncluttered layout.

To be honest, even DAWS these days take up an enormous amount of space if you're doing anything over 5 or so channels.

Can you get the clevo chassis model number from the label on the underside of the laptop? I just want to be sure of the maximum resolution capable on that chassis, reason being is that after a quick search, both Samsung and LG are doing offers at the moment for 4k IPS panels so you could get 2 within budget which may be a far better option. Just want to be certain before committing to anything

But either way will list 2 x 1440p options and 2 x 4k if the chassis can handle it.

Clevo model: NH55AF
Product code: NH55AFW

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I can't find any information on the max resolution for that configuration anywhere which is odd. To play it safe, it may be worth sticking with 1440p

Just found some decent 1440p options, these are the very popular Asus ProArt series which are designed for professionals, these are the budget option but have really good reviews. Most of the ProArt lineup are very sought after for stuff like video editing and photo editing. This is the cheapest I could find them at £259 so would take you £18 over budget, but you're getting a lot for your money if you think it's worth it.

In case you're unfamiliar with Wex, they're extremely highly rated: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.wexphotovideo.com

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to add, it doesn't look like these monitors come supplied with cables, so you'd have to source some.

The monitors have Mini DisplayPort, DisplayPort, HDMI, dual-link DVI-D (ignore DVI-D these days)

I can't find any information on the max resolution for that configuration anywhere which is odd. To play it safe, it may be worth sticking with 1440p

Just found some decent 1440p options, these are the very popular Asus ProArt series which are designed for professionals, these are the budget option but have really good reviews. Most of the ProArt lineup are very sought after for stuff like video editing and photo editing. This is the cheapest I could find them at £259 so would take you £18 over budget, but you're getting a lot for your money if you think it's worth it.

In case you're unfamiliar with Wex, they're extremely highly rated: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.wexphotovideo.com

Just to add, it doesn't look like these monitors come supplied with cables, so you'd have to source some.

The monitors have Mini DisplayPort, DisplayPort, HDMI, dual-link DVI-D (ignore DVI-D these days)

Back to HDMI and mini DP to DP!

Really appreciate your help and advice @SpyderTracks - I'll be calling my local WEX first thing tomorrow. Cheers, sir!

after a quick search, both Samsung and LG are doing offers at the moment for 4k IPS panels

Just out of interest, presuming 4k was an option for this chassis, and I went for a single 4k monitor, which would you recommend (£400-£500)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just out of interest, presuming 4k was an option for this chassis, and I went for a single 4k monitor, which would you recommend (£400-£500)
Perhaps this one from Benq, just over budget but it’s a really capable display. You could also run this direct from the usb c port

Thanks @SpyderTracks
Had a reply from PCS Tech Support.
Regarding your query, I believe that the laptop might struggle running 4k unfortunately, however, it should be able to handle two monitors due to your GPU.

So looks like I'm capped at 1440 to be on the safe side..
Also looking at a single ultrawide (non-curved)?

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It depends on the context. It'll handle the 4k resolution absolutely no problem. 4k gaming it wouldn't be great with. I'm wondering if the PCS rep has misunderstood your uses.