Monitor displaying horizontal lines

scotho

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,

Up until the past couple of days I have had no problem with my pc.

However, randomly a couple of days ago my monitor cut out and showed multicolored horizontal lines and then the sound would then cut out. The only way to get back to my normal viewing would be to turn it off manually.

I have googled this problem and I have learned it could be a possible overheating problem with my gpu however I'm not sure.

I would like to know if anyone knows what is going on and if they can help me or not.

Thanks,
Scott

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
And if it does fix the problem you won't need to contact tech support.;)
If it's an nvidia card,when installing driver select custom install and check the box for clean install.
Download the driver from here,
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
If it's an AMD card,Click on Start
Open the Control Panel
Select Programs and Features
Select AMD (ATI) Catalyst Install Manager
Click on Change
Click on Next when prompted for the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard forAMD Catalyst Install Manager,
Select Express Uninstall All Software
Follow the on-screen directions and restart the system when finished
To verify that the graphics driver has been uninstalled, return to the Uninstall or Change a Program list and ensure that there is no AMD specific software listed
If AMD specific software is still listed, remove any remaining AMDsoftware components using the above process and restart the system when complete.
Download latest driver from here.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

scotho

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

I had no problem with this after performing the clean install, up until today.

I'll have to give tech support a ring I guess

scotho

Bronze Level Poster
Can I just add, the lines change colour depending on what's happening on screen.

Today, for example, I was watching a football game online so the lines are green. Two different shades of green bars across the screen.