Monitor keeps going black

ajfletcher

Hi, I ordered a desktop and two monitors in March, everything has been fine up until a few weeks ago, when one my monitors (ASUS VA249HE 24")kept going black every now and again. I was playing a game at the time, so assumed it was something to do with the graphics card, but I've updated all the drivers and the problem keeps happening - except now it happens even when I have no programmes open and I'm just on the desktop. I unplugged the monitor and swapped them around (it was the main monitor and now it's the second monitor) but the problem persists.

It will go black for a few seconds and then back to normal and will do this a few times a minute, and sometimes it will just go black and stay that way, and I'll have to close whatever programme was open on that monitor using the Task Manager. Bars of static often flash on the screen as well - but only on that one monitor. The other one has been fine with no problems at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rakk

The Awesome
If its the one single monitor that it keeps happening to whether you have it as the main monitor or secondary monitor I'd definitely be suspecting the monitor - possibly the port you are using in said monitor or the monitor cable

Have you also tried using a different monitor cable from your PC to said monitor in case its that particular cable?

If so and it doesn't make a difference, I'd be tempted to change which port your using and see if it still happens.
Oops, having just looked it up it looks like its only got HDMI and VGA, so that plan may not be possible (unless you have a proper VGA-HDMI convertor).

One bonus point though, if you only got said monitor in march, its easily in its warranty period and if it is that then PCS's support will get you a new sorted asap

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Hi, thanks for this - yes it's just got the HDMI and VGA. The computer itself only has one port for HDMI so to plug this monitor in I'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, do you think that could be causing problems? I got it from Currys (https://www.currys.co.uk/products/e...le-5-m-10209868.html?searchTerm=hdmi displayp) and a reviewer there seems to be having a similar issue.
Swap the monitor cables round between the monitors, see if the problems switches to the other monitor - if so its probably the cable, if the problem stays with the monitor you are concerned about its not the cable