Monitor resolutions

Freeley

Well i might not have ordered my pc yet but i've got my monitor, an LG2362D (23") which came today.

I've been fiddling around with resolutions and can't decide what to put it on - the monitor keeps telling me it wants to display at 1980 x 1080 but at this resolution the text is way too small for desktop use.

Currently i've got it set at 1600 x 900 for no other reason that it looks alright to me, unfortunately none of my photos fit as wallpapers anymore without distorting them terribly boohoo.

What sort of resolutions does everyone else use for this sort of size?

Cheers.

Rakk

The Awesome
I use 1920x1080 on my 24" monitor and 1680x1050 on my 22" - would use 1920x1080 on the 22" but its too old and cant manage that resolution :)

Freeley

Jeez you guys must have amazing eyesight!
Will set it to 1920 x 1080 for a while and see if i get used to it.

Freeley

Ok have got it at 1920 x 1080, looks alright on this forum but on standard websites the picture is shrunken down into the centre third of the screen with blank bits either side. Looks horrible.
Is this normal or should i be fiddling with settings again?

Meds

Yeah, a majority of websites will be designed to work in lower resolutions (1024x768 & 1280x1024) as a majority of PC users do not have nice big monitors like us :) It's something which can't be avoided and you'll get used to it. I'd rather sacrifice the odd dodgy website appearance to have good quality gaming & movies!

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
1920x1080 seems fine in most games for me but in world of warcraft I've had to use 1680x1050 to see my action bar and chat panel clearly.

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
Heh, I use 1920 x 1080 (16:9) on my Enigma i7 which is a 15.4" screen, I'm used to small fonts etc. though.

I used to use 1920 x 1200 (16:10) on my old 24" monitor which just looks huge now!

I'd recommend using the native resolution of your monitor & where possible increasing font sizes (in web browsers hold Ctrl + MouseWheel up to increase the size of the content on screen) instead of using a lower resolution as monitors are much crisper in their native resolution.

PokerFace

Banned
My Dell 24 " 1920x1200 monitor also displayed text very small.

1) I opened a web page in Internet Explorer and on the tool bar near the 'Home' and 'Print' Icons you will see 'Page' with drop down arrow. Open arrow and select 'text size' (I set mine too medium).

2) Then in Windows 7, Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display...I changed to Medium (125%). Now I have decent size fonts on web pages.

It's worth spending a bit of time messing with these settings, as it's worth it in the end.

Regards.

MJL

Bronze Level Poster
Is there much difference between 1920x1200 and 1920x1080, as my laptop (Dell XPS M1710) which im currently using has 1920x1200.
Oh and whilst we are here could I sneak this in...
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170089
What you think, its going to be used as my xbox tv and pc monitor, oh and will if be compatible with my PC?
Thanks ;)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The only difference between the two is that 1920x1200 is a little bit taller, the Asus monitor you linked looks nice :)

Freeley

My Dell 24 " 1920x1200 monitor also displayed text very small.

1) I opened a web page in Internet Explorer and on the tool bar near the 'Home' and 'Print' Icons you will see 'Page' with drop down arrow. Open arrow and select 'text size' (I set mine too medium).

2) Then in Windows 7, Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display...I changed to Medium (125%). Now I have decent size fonts on web pages.

It's worth spending a bit of time messing with these settings, as it's worth it in the end.

Regards.

Cheers nice to know. I use google chrome though and don't seem to have many options (any in fact?)
I've got used to the text size now though - the only thing i'm not liking is on google search results, i can barely tell any difference in shade between links i've clicked on and those that i haven't.
No amount of fiddling with the contrast seems to help. On my old monitor they were much easier to tell apart.