Monitors: 1080 v 1440 or 60Hz v 144Hz - Which one do I need?

Cobblers

Enthusiast
When you aren't quite the computer geek, but still find yourself surrounded by them, life can be a little difficult.

Why? Because computer geek people come out with plenty of terminology and know-how, but sometimes don't always get that us "normal" people don't live on that same planet and more recently that relates to monitors.

You choose a 1080 monitor, why? Because that's what you've always done and that's the best right? Not always. A lot comes down to your PC, the CPU and GPU, but also the performance of your monitor.

More recently I've been recommended to go for a 1440p monitor "because the graphics are so much better" or "why are you not going for a monitor that can do 144Hz - the refresh rate is greater".

But why? When I've been playing with a 1080p system for years now and never suffered before, so why change a winning formula? Videos on YouTube try and show you the difference between 1080p v 1440p and I can't tell the difference... please tell me you can't either via this video or my eye sight is surely beginning to suffer?!

The other issue right now is around Covid-19; you CAN NOT physically go into a computer shop to check out the visual difference for yourself. And I'm normally too lazy to check these things out for myself anyway... besides, I just want to play games, right?

Well to save you some time, here are some very simple images that for me really helped to explain the significant difference between 1080p v 1440p and/or a 60Hz v 144Hz monitor and the type of performance upgrade you can expect to receive.

1612003896446.png

Cobblers

Enthusiast
1612004105236.png

Whilst seeing is believing and nothing better than IRL, hopefully this gives a quick idea as to what you could be missing out on. Though I'm yet to take the jump myself, this will certainly encourage me to take the plunge later this year and invest in hardware that isn't just a great GPU or CPU, but also a better monitor.

That said, I still can't quite get my head around a flat or curved monitor yet..... but I'll get there.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Also important to note. What one you should go for is linked to what you want to use it for and what GPU you're intending on pairing it with :)

And I'll let the computer geekers explain that one. :p In fairness, this is a consideration most people need to think about before even looking at the spec. Most of us just don't know what we want and whether a couple of months additional savings could help us get a computer that is beyond what we considered was possible.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Basically need a whole section praising the Samsung G series monitors as well :ROFLMAO:

Exactly THIS.

I didn't really consider the monitor is where I should have started first and built my system around that.

You forgot ultra wide, super wide & 4K

My post was more aimed at those who are happy and settled with 1080p, but might be on the cusp of moving into 1440p, but think the benefit will be not worth the investment. Those happy and settled on a 1080p are less likely to go for the Ultra/Super Wide or 4K due to budget - most likely anyway. Baby steps!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Exactly THIS.

I didn't really consider the monitor is where I should have started first and built my system around that.

My post was more aimed at those who are happy and settled with 1080p, but might be on the cusp of moving into 1440p, but think the benefit will be not worth the investment. Those happy and settled on a 1080p are less likely to go for the Ultra/Super Wide or 4K due to budget - most likely anyway. Baby steps!
Thanks for posting that, I'm sure it will help some. :)