Monitors

thoben

Ok so my PC is being delivered this weekend. For the moment it will be connected to my TV probably via HDMI but if I can dig out a VGA cable I might even use that, anyway that's not the point of this thread.

In the somewhat near future I want to get an actual monitor for it and keep the TV solely for my Xbox and well TV watching :)

I had a quick browse for Monitor's on the internet and on numerous websites comparing them but could do with some suggestions.

My PC will be used mostly for gaming and some video editting here's the spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

I've identified one monitor I quite like the look of and just wondered what the more experienced members thought of it and whether they can recommend a better one (or perhaps even a better two).

Here's the monitor I'm most interested in at the moment:

Samsung S24B300HL 23.6 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, HDMI/VGA) £119 on Amazon.

Budget isn't really an issue but I'd prefer spend around about £100-250

(If this is the wrong forum, I apologise).

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi,
Are you considering 3d gaming or movies? Since you have 2 x gtx 670 I'd go with a monitor with 120hz and low response time like the IIYAMA pro gamer or the Benq XL2411T.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've got two 24inch IIyama's, feel free to click the link in my sig for pictures.

I really like them!

thoben

I've not really thought about 3D gaming or Movies. I picked the GTX670's because for the price they are almost as good as 680's and absolutely trounce my current Radeon HD card.

I do tend to avoid 3D when going to the cinema as I just don't see the benefit really (No pun intended) so may just stick with 2D. I will have a closer look at the two suggested monitor's tonight as I'm at work now, but thanks for the input :)

EDIT: Very nice pics Tom, thanks for the input as well.

thoben

First off sorry for the double post.

Both monitors look great, but I'm certainly gravitating towards the slightly more expensive Iiyama. They are very similar, but the Iiyama has a higher response time and a larger screen.

Thanks for the suggestions Keynes, and again Tom those pics look great :)

thoben

Ah silly me, I meant "Better" response time :p

The Benq has a 5ms response time.

I can't for the life of me understand why I wrote "Higher"...

Rakk

The Awesome
I can't for the life of me understand why I wrote "Higher"...

Its a friday lunchtime, you were obviously thinking about food :) (well, at least I'm thinking about food anyways and not a lot else)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I prefer 27", find the one at work (22") not big enough. The Benq XL2411T has also a response time of 1ms , smaller screen but supports nvidia 3d vision, the IIYAMA doesn't support it. From reviews online both seems to be pretty good.

thoben

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong Benq then. I plugged both into Amazon (easy to immediately see prices and basic specs) and Amazon has the Benq XL2411T listed with a 5ms response time.

I'll have another dig and see what I can come up with. I'm not sure if I'm that bothered with 3D Vision, so it's not a major selling point for me.

Rakk, I'm definitely thinking food right about now :) Now where's that Dominos menu we got in the post...

thoben

Thanks Stebro, that also looks like a good alternative to the previously suggested monitors. Comes in just under the Iiyama's price tag but has nearly as many features, I think it's just the response rate that is different really and only 1ms at that...