More problems :( green flickering pixels and unable to configure updates

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
hi guys... Got another a couple more for you..

After installing my graphics card (EVGA NVidia GTX 970 SC) I'm getting green and red flickering pixels on my secondary monitor. Is this a known issue with this card/drivers? If so, is there a fix?

Also, after installing updates (all 71 of them!) it boots up and says that windows can't configure updates forcing me to reinstall the updates and it's just s continuous loop. I've had a look online and the windows help wasn't much help apart from editing the registry keys or reinstalling windows, but because I've pretty much only just got it, would it be worth formatting for a complete fresh start? Or would reinstalling windows fix it?

Thanks again!

Specs:

Case
COOLERMASTER CM STORM TROOPER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5930K (3.5GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® X99 DELUXE: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X PREDATOR QUAD-DDR4 2666MHz X.M.P (8 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
EVGA NVidia GTX 970 SC
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans
2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard - OEM
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Last edited:

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
Ok so I've fixed the green pixel problem... The cable was slightly loose... still having the Windows config issue though. It's trying to install 72 updates now and it seems to take a lot longer now (to install as well as trying to configure - still fails though)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok so I've fixed the green pixel problem... The cable was slightly loose... still having the Windows config issue though. It's trying to install 72 updates now and it seems to take a lot longer now (to install as well as trying to configure - still fails though)

Which version of windows? Windows 7 had a real botch of an update released which needs uninstalling or it causes major problems:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-disables-graphics-driver-updates-and-windows-defender/

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
Which version of windows? Windows 7 had a real botch of an update released which needs uninstalling or it causes major problems:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/12/13/new-windows-7-patch-is-effectively-malware-disables-graphics-driver-updates-and-windows-defender/

It's Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1. The number of updates seem to change quite a lot now. This morning it was 5 but there were still the 70 odd other updates that failed. I did start to think if it was because I installed my firewalls, anti-malware/virus etc before letting the system update fully (had a good read on the internet and it could have been caused by the firewall blocking it or slow internet).

Thanks for that link though! I will have a look see if I have the bad patch when I get home :)

Androcles

Rising Star
Best bet would be to install the windows updates a few at a time, oldest first, sometimes there are updates that fix issues from previous updates and if you try to update them first it causes it to fail, plus as you said slow internet can effect windows update, if it takes too long it can hang and fail.

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
So after reading the article, I don't have the bad update (KB 3004394) and it was said that if I can't see that then the patch to fix the bad patch (KB3024777) has been installed... and I don't have that either. Tried installing the new good patch and nothing pops up. just a very short loading cursor and then nothing. My computer seems to be completely ignoring the 70 odd updates and now installing new updates 5 at a time (maybe it's breaking them up?) but they fail too.... Format and re-install?

AndyJB

Bronze Level Poster
Huzzah! Formatting and a re-install worked and managed to download and install all 180 odd updates :) Although I'm now missing 1mb from my graphics card memory haha, I'm not really fussed about it but is that normal?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Huzzah! Formatting and a re-install worked and managed to download and install all 180 odd updates :) Although I'm now missing 1mb from my graphics card memory haha, I'm not really fussed about it but is that normal?

1mb or 1Gb?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
1MB it's showing 4095. Like I say, I'm not really fussed about it but would be nice to know why :)

Lol's, mine show's only 2Gb of 6Gb in Speccy, 4Gb in Intel ExtremeTune and the GPU doesn't even register in HWMonitor, 10Gb in DXDiag, so yeah, I'm confused also. I think a 1mb loss is doing well!