More storage or faster spinning hard disk for second hard drive?

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Hopefully I will be ordering a laptop in the not too distant future that will have a SSD as the primary drive and a second hard disk.

Regarding the second hard disk. What would be the most advantageous and what would an expert go for out of these two?

1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

OR

750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD 7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

One has slightly more storage space and the other is faster. There is only £8.00 difference between them so it does not matter to me. Does it really matter about speed if it is the second hard disk? For the sake of £8.00, should I go for the faster hard disk?

Cheers

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
if it was me I would get the bigger HDD because it's only really going to be holding data, all the programs etc are going to be booting off the SSD(i assume) so personally I would go for the bigger storage

tom_gr7

Life Serving
personally i'd go for the black drive, as I've got a scorpio blue in a laptop and its so slow!

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
personally i'd go for the black drive, as I've got a scorpio blue in a laptop and its so slow!

Now I am completely confused. I thought being the second hard disk that speed did not matter and it was only used mainly for storage?

Buzz

Master
The drives can store what ever you like. I have my op system as SSD which also has photoshop and other progs I like to open fast and run smoother. I also then have caviar black which stores my data. But this data is a mix of all sorts. Some games, some progs, etc so really depending on what you will use the HDD for should determine what one ya get. If it will be used for storing the likes of photos or music on then get the bigger capacity one. If you will eventually install a game or 2 on it and/or a few progs you would still like running better then go with the Caviar black. It is IMO a better drive.

rickne

Master Poster
Most of the time the primary booting SSD is going to be smaller than a regular HDD. Youll only want to put important programs on this. Games I wouldnt even bother. A hybrid like a momentus HDD like the Black would be perfect for storage . I went for the 750GB Black. Currently I have a 550 Momentus without an SSD in my older M17X and even that alone boots pretty fast. Infact Hybrids are designed to get faster and more efficient as time progresses. I made the mistake of putting a 1 TB standard HDD in my DEsktop and even though it has the top Chip and GPus it boots like 1995.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
I should have pointed out from the very start, I am going for a laptop not a desktop. So everything is pointing to going for a faster second hard drive. This one.

750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD 7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

There is slightly less storage but it is much faster than the Scorpio Blue and for the sake of £8.00, it seems like a no-brainer.

Even the second drive I want to see faster than my old laptop.

So the general consensus is that the Scorpio Black is better than the Scorpio Blue?

Cheers

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I would definitely get the 7200RPM drive, I remember when i broke my scorpio black on my old laptop and had to live with a spare 5400 drive, Linux took longer to boot on that than windows 7 did on the 7200rpm drive, and linux is usually really quick