Most nightmarish game ever.

Encolpius

Silver Level Poster
Good evening.

Which games are, in people here's opinion, the most terrifying of all time?

Well, I'm going to nominate the 1990s pointy-clicky number "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream", based on the short story by Harlan Ellison and co-written by him. No jump scares, but old-fashioned mind rape and body horror which you have to engage in. And yes, you can end up the great soft-jelly thing, smoothly rounded, no holes, etc., from the novella. That's the bad ending. The good ending isn't much more optimistic.

Bsrz

Rising Star
in terms of scary I would say slender the arrival after a few drinks with mates.
other than that silent hill 2 was a big one, F.E.A.R is also ok, amnesia is good.
I remember when I was very young, and I was watching my neighbors older son play max pain - the first 10 munites where they broke into his house scared the hell out of me :D lol

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I did actually have dreams about Resident Evil 2 after playing it for months so that would probably be my contribution.

Encolpius

Silver Level Poster
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri gets an honourable mention as well.

Not while you're playing it is it nightmarish. But it becomes so later on when you wonder just what nerve stapling is. Or what the Dream Twister does to people. Or the punishment sphere. Or the things that mind worms actually do to you that is only hinted at in the fluff.

Also, a tip of the hat to the entire Mass Effect series. The idea that there's a race of impossibly old mechanical gods out there who are just waiting to invade every habitable planet, kill any inhabitants who resist, and then capture the rest and melt them down (still conscious) and turn them into another Reaper is deeply concerning.

steaky360

Not sure if this is off topic. But from Encolpius' original post I was forced to look into and purchase the book from which that game was based on. "I have no mouth and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison. It is a very good short story that I would recommend. Weird but thought provoking. I can only imagine if you got fully immersed in the game that it would be a bit unnerving too!

I'm an absolute wuss when it comes to 'scary' games. Just about any game that was meant to be scary I find pretty scary. I enjoy playing Dead Space for instance, but get very unnerved on many occasions and have to switch it off (I know....). It kinda gets like that with a lot of games.

I really enjoyed Rise of Knightmares for Kinect though, bit of a gimmick, but it was fun.

jossew

Not sure if this is off topic. But from Encolpius' original post I was forced to look into and purchase the book from which that game was based on. "I have no mouth and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison. It is a very good short story that I would recommend. Weird but thought provoking. I can only imagine if you got fully immersed in the game that it would be a bit unnerving too!

I'm an absolute wuss when it comes to 'scary' games. Just about any game that was meant to be scary I find pretty scary. I enjoy playing Dead Space for instance, but get very unnerved on many occasions and have to switch it off (I know....). It kinda gets like that with a lot of games.

I really enjoyed Rise of Knightmares for Kinect though, bit of a gimmick, but it was fun.
The original Dead Space was terrifying! The amount of times I jumped playing it was ridiculous. They seemed to have gotten less scary as the series went on though...shame :\

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I remember Alone in the Dark (the very first one) was pretty scary back in the day.

Also I remember an Aliens mod for Doom which was very scary on the first level. You kept expecting a Face Hugger to leap out at you from around every corner, but when you finally got to the end of the first level you realised there weren't actually any enemies on it!

LFFPicard

Godlike
Alien Trilogy on Playstation

By far the scariest I played, was younger then and when I got it I turned the volume up and the lights off and played at about 11pm.
Just the sound of the scanner going and then all of a sudden going mental when aliens all appear, even just the sounds of aliens in the distance.

Keedar

Expert
Outlast !!!

j4c9.jpg

Encolpius

Silver Level Poster
There's a custom level for Portal 2 called "Don't Make Lemonade." It's a standard portal puzzle in the Old Aperture visual style, then you press the switch to open the exit, and as you turn round... you're there... with staring blank eyes and there's a close up of your soulless face.

I'm not the only one who posted a comment on that level saying how I made lemonade.

EDIT: Dinner is served.

[video=youtube;Y9BgjkP-MtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9BgjkP-MtA[/video]

Last edited: