Motherboard doesn't have enough fan pins

Millsy91

I bought 3 120mm fans (Akasa apache Black) for my haf 912 two for the top and one for the side, I looked and there is only enough pins for one more fan, do I need do buy some kind of adapter?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
what motherboard and case do you have?

infact can you post up ya whole spec?

At first sight, you have a few options

You can get adapters to run the fans off the psu, either at 7 volts or 12 volts - ( 12 volts being max speed)

OR you could get a fan controller, then connect the three fans to that, and control the fan speed that way.

Millsy91

These are my specs:

Coolermaster Haf 912 plus
Intel i5-2500k
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
8GB Samsung Ram
1.5GB Nividia GTX 580
1 TB Caviar Black
Corsair 650W
Super Quiet Triple Copper CPU Cooler

truegrace

Enthusiast
Fan controller ftw, I have the same motherboard and now run all my fans from a controller other than CPU fan

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Get a fan controller, although you are probably best to get a controller that allows for 4 pin fans as thats what the akasa fans are and wont fit without modification on 3 pin ones

Millsy91

Fan controller does seem like the best option, which would you recommend up to £40? also would I need to buy a tray for the controller to fit in?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd definitely get a lamptron fan controller! http://lamptron.com/products/Controller_Devices/

What about the FC 6? http://lamptron.com/products/view/Fan_Controller_FC6 - It will work fine with your 4 pin fans.

Watch the lost cost ones, some are made pretty cheaply, as a result they are often crap, only powering max of one fan per channel, I've found with fan controllers you get what you pay for.

If it was my rig, I'd have all the case fans connected to the fan controller.

Ideally you want one that can output about 20w's per channel, so you can group ya fans together, so ya top rear fans on one channel, ya front fans on one channel, etc etc.

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Got to agree, fan controllers are great.

I have a Scythe one, and it's great. Has 6 fan controls on it, but i have 2 fans on some channels and works perfectly. Think it cost me about £40 :)