Motherboard problem

MNK_35

Hi everyone!

My SSD died (The one with operating system on it) and I bought another one and replaced it, installed Windows 10 (first time ever I do that on my own..) and I've been installing whatever I could, software, drivers etc. The only thing (and surely the most important) I don't know how to do is installing drivers/whatever needed by my motherboard. So for example the extra fans on the case don't work. And I already had a strange crash saying overclock failed (I wasn't overclocking!), then computer started shutting down and like restarting but after just a few seconds restarting again etc. I stopped it and then I couldn't even turn the computer on for a while. I thought power supply or motherboard were fried but after a few hours I managed to turn it on again and it seems to be working for now.

I downloaded what I found for my motherboard from the official website (it's a .ROM?) and I don't know what to do with it. I've been told I need to install chipeset etc (no idea, sorry for my ignorance)
My question is, can someone help me figuring this out? My motherboard is ASUS P8Z68-V PRO. This computer has a few years but other than this issue has always worked very well.

I don't know if this is too much to ask, probably is it! I work on my computer (self employed) and I have an important job coming up, so I'm a bit worried as I don't have much time.

Thanks so much!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows will likely install all your drivers automatically once it's connected to the interweb.

If you've messed around with driver installations, it's probably worth reinstalling windows from scratch and then letting windows update drivers through windows update.

Then go into device manager and check if there are any devices with question marks by them once all drivers are installed. If there are take a screenshot and post back.

The .ROM file you've got is a BIOS update which you don't need to apply.

MNK_35

Hello!

Thanks for your reply!

Actually I only started installing drivers after the Windows installation (& update), as everything appeared as standard, so I had to install drivers for the mouse, the graphic card, not much more than that, the other stuff that took me ages was mostly software. But then again the extra case fans stopped working, so I don't know what to do about that. Something is missing for sure.

There is no question marks in the device manager.

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Go to the manufacturer's website for your motherboard, navigate to the drivers and downloads section, make sure you have the right operating system selected, and then download the chipset driver and any USB drivers you see there. The audio and VGA drivers you won't need because WIndows Update will have found and installed those.

MNK_35

Go to the manufacturer's website for your motherboard, navigate to the drivers and downloads section, make sure you have the right operating system selected, and then download the chipset driver and any USB drivers you see there. The audio and VGA drivers you won't need because WIndows Update will have found and installed those.

Thanks for your reply! I already went to the manufacturer's website before posting here. All I found was the USB drivers, Audio drivers, the BIOS .ROM. and list of qualified vendors. That's all. No mention to the chipset driver. Maybe because it's an old motherboard? :S

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Case fans won't be affected by drivers.

Most case fans will just spin at a constant, full speed.

If they're software controlled, it could be that they're missing the software / there previously was software that controlled them with X profile but now they are using a different profile based on the setting on the motherboard.

It depends on the fans and what they're connected to.

As for the Chipset drivers, why are you looking for these? Some people found that Windows 10 automatically acquired those.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for your reply! I already went to the manufacturer's website before posting here. All I found was the USB drivers, Audio drivers, the BIOS .ROM. and list of qualified vendors. That's all. No mention to the chipset driver. Maybe because it's an old motherboard? :S
Then it's unlikely you're missing any drivers.

If this is a PCS build could you post the full spec from the configuration please? It's possible you're missing some control software but we'll need to see your full spec to know.

MNK_35

Yes this is a PCS build from several years ago.
This is all except for the peripherals (attached) - Currently only working with one graphic card.

Thank you!

Attachments

• PCS_desktop.jpg
    PCS_desktop.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 74

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Has this PC been running Windows 10 before, or is this the first time you've ever had Windows 10 on it?

MNK_35

It came with windows 7 but I installed windows 10 in the new hard drive when the main one died. Could this be giving problems?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It came with windows 7 but I installed windows 10 in the new hard drive when the main one died. Could this be giving problems?
I was wondering whether this PC would support Windows 10. If it's been running before then clearly it does.

What was the make and model of the new SSD?

Did you install Windows from downloaded install media? If so, where did you get it from?

MNK_35

Yes it's been running before, and it has been working fine today but I think it's very dodgy after what happened, fans still not moving though.

New SSD:
Samsung MZ-76P1T0B/EU 1 TB 860 Pro Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive

I installed Windows10-pro from a CD (bought online) it installed with no problems and then updated online.

MNK_35

Case fans won't be affected by drivers.

Most case fans will just spin at a constant, full speed.

If they're software controlled, it could be that they're missing the software / there previously was software that controlled them with X profile but now they are using a different profile based on the setting on the motherboard.

It depends on the fans and what they're connected to.

As for the Chipset drivers, why are you looking for these? Some people found that Windows 10 automatically acquired those.

Hello! Sorry I totally missed your reply.
Yes there was probably software controlling them but I have no idea how that works. I may need to take the computer somewhere to be checked, I just can't do that yet having several deadlines going on. Just hope it doesn't die on me again maybe from overheating during the next few days.

Regarding the Chipset, I was looking for them as most forums I've checked they recommended me to get that. As you probably guessed from my posts, I have only basic knowledge but no idea about building computers or fixing things like this.

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes it's been running before, and it has been working fine today but I think it's very dodgy after what happened, fans still not moving though.

New SSD:
Samsung MZ-76P1T0B/EU 1 TB 860 Pro Sata III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive

I installed Windows10-pro from a CD (bought online) it installed with no problems and then updated online.

I'm not sure why the fans aren't moving, was there any control software for them?

Where did you buy the Windows 10 DVD from?

MNK_35

Windows - Having a deadline the day after, so I got it from the only place with same day delivery I could find, along with the new SSD, Amazon.
Fans - I am not aware if there was any control software for them as I never saw any.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The case fans don't immediately sound like a software issue.

You don't have a separate fan controller (in that spec, anyway) and the case has its own fan controller which is a 3-speed switch on top of the case. These usually control fan speed by controlling the voltage to the fans, often with a choice of 12, 7 or 5v. Rather than software which would adjust fan speed versus temperature. The case's fan controller won't have any software.

PCS will probably have plugged the fans into the case's built in hub rather than the motherboard or directly to the PSU.

Try the 3 different settings of the fan controller switch on top to see if it helps.

If there's no change, take the side panels off the case and follow the case fan cables. It's possible they came loose, or that if they are plugged into the hub, the hub's connection to the PSU has come loose.

Maybe something got nudged or just inched loose the other day when you were installing the new SSD. It happens.

In short, check the connections :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows - Having a deadline the day after, so I got it from the only place with same day delivery I could find, along with the new SSD, Amazon.
Fans - I am not aware if there was any control software for them as I never saw any.
Then I'm pretty much stumped.

The fans are a different issue as Oussebon says. But I can't explain the crashing and restarting you talk about in your first post.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's a possibility, maybe, that the PC's whinge about the overclock was:

a) Asus software that either you had before, or that you managed to install when doing the new install, which automatically overclocked the system and (as is common for the older Asus software) didn't do a good job of it.

b) The PC was complaining about the RAM's XMP profile for some reason.

c) something else I have no idea about.

If it's a) and the system is, now at at least, definitely not overclocked then it doesn't matter and hopefully won't happen again. If you have Asus AI Suite installed, or whatever the program masquerades as these days, maybe get rid of it.

As for b) You could download CPU-Z and check the "Memory" tab to see what frequency your RAM is running at. Post a screenshot. If it turns out the RAM isn't 1600MHz (or 800MHz, which is what it'll show as in CPU-Z) but rather 1333MHz / 667MHz then you'll likely want to switch the XMP profile back and maybe that was what the OC message was about.

MNK_35

The case fans don't immediately sound like a software issue.

You don't have a separate fan controller (in that spec, anyway) and the case has its own fan controller which is a 3-speed switch on top of the case. These usually control fan speed by controlling the voltage to the fans, often with a choice of 12, 7 or 5v. Rather than software which would adjust fan speed versus temperature. The case's fan controller won't have any software.

PCS will probably have plugged the fans into the case's built in hub rather than the motherboard or directly to the PSU.

Try the 3 different settings of the fan controller switch on top to see if it helps.

If there's no change, take the side panels off the case and follow the case fan cables. It's possible they came loose, or that if they are plugged into the hub, the hub's connection to the PSU has come loose.

Maybe something got nudged or just inched loose the other day when you were installing the new SSD. It happens.

In short, check the connections :)

Just checked the fan controller switch again (it didn't work yesterday) and still nothing, none of the 3 big case fans work.

I followed the cables and they go into the biggest cable mess I've ever seen :D I mean they get lost in there as then they are bunched up and covered to make it less messy I guess. I can't 100% follow where they all go, but then at the bottom of all the cable mess I see a thin cable that looks like the fan cable, which is loose, so maybe it could be this one causing the fan problem. Not that I'd know where to plug it to though.

Thanks!