Motherboard temp

jaydenrw98

Bronze Level Poster
Does anybody know what temperature motherboards should run at, mine has been jumping around idling anywhere between 40-60 and when gaming goes up to 70.

Case FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H80i V2 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
MonitorASUS VG248QE 24" 3D 144Hz GAMING DISPLAY
Monitor Cables2 x 2 METRE DVI-D CABLE

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, but my question about what temperature your motherboard should be running at?
There are about 15 different sensors on the motherboard, I have no idea which one speccy is referencing as it just says “motherboard” which doesn’t make any sense.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Many boards have a motherboard temperature sensor but the standard between boards is non-existent as far as I can tell - which means the info they give you is pretty useless in my opinion. The sesnor on my board is located in a position that I can see no benefit to as it is away from all major components and the chipset/PCIe slots, etc. As a result. in general mine therefore reads in the high 20's to low 30's no matter what I'm doing.

I can't see where the sensor is located on the OP's board - but I would say three things:

1) I would expect any solid state electronic components to be perfectly happy below 80 degrees C. When you allow for the inability to catch every spike in temperature then conservatively say below 70 degrees C to be safe. So I think the OP has nothing to worry about.

2) Given the lack of standard location for the sensor, it makes the information meaningless. If your CPU, GPU, Chipset - and VRM if you can see that temperature - are all OK, then I wouldn't worry about the motherboard temperature at all.

3) If the bits in point 2 above are OK, then as long as your case has reasonably decent airflow, I would simply stop monitoring the temperature entirely. :) An Irish solution to a problem maybe - if you don't like what you see then stop looking! But fair in this case nonetheless.....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
3) If the bits in point 2 above are OK, then as long as your case has reasonably decent airflow, I would simply stop monitoring the temperature entirely. :) An Irish solution to a problem maybe - if you don't like what you see then stop looking! But fair in this case nonetheless.....
Not an Irish solution at all. If you don't know what it is that you're measuring then there is no point in measuring it!

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Not an Irish solution at all. If you don't know what it is that you're measuring then there is no point in measuring it!
Agreed!

A well-known piece of aviation advice goes something like this:

You are in a single-engine airplane on a dark moonless night. Your engine fails and you glide down gently. At 100 feet you turn on your landing light and see an impossibly rough and rocky landscape which you really don't like the look of. What do you do?

Turn off your landing light - obviously. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Agreed!

A well-known piece of aviation advice goes something like this:

You are in a single-engine airplane on a dark moonless night. Your engine fails and you glide down gently. At 100 feet you turn on your landing light and see an impossibly rough and rocky landscape which you really don't like the look of. What do you do?

Turn off your landing light - obviously. :)
But again, behind the obvious humour is some good advice....

If you're heading for certain disaster then don't waste your time worrying about what might happen, instead use what time you have to figure out how to avert it!

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
But again, behind the obvious humour is some good advice....

If you're heading for certain disaster then don't waste your time worrying about what might happen, instead use what time you have to figure out how to avert it!
So easy to say! Yet so hard to do! But yes, those that survive are those that can continue to think of options where others see only outcomes....

What a weird diversion from the original thread's intent! :) Perhaps to paraphrase and sum up for the OP - I think he can ignore his motherboard temperature and pay attention instead to his components temperatures. No point worrying about the temperature of your kitchen if your oven is on fire and all that....

(Does that even make sense as an analogy? :unsure: )

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So easy to say! Yet so hard to do! But yes, those that survive are those that can continue to think of options where others see only outcomes....

What a weird diversion from the original thread's intent! :) Perhaps to paraphrase and sum up for the OP - I think he can ignore his motherboard temperature and pay attention instead to his components temperatures. No point worrying about the temperature of your kitchen if your oven is on fire and all that....

(Does that even make sense as an analogy? :unsure: )
I would put it more simply for the OP; we don't know exactly what is being measured there so it's impossible to say anything about the value you're seeing. Don't worry about it. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you install HWMonitor it will give far better headings for motherboard sensors so you can see where that high temp is referencing.

For instance, if it’s the VRM’s then a high reading would be completely expected, again with the chipset / southbridge.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I would put it more simply for the OP; we don't know exactly what is being measured there so it's impossible to say anything about the value you're seeing. Don't worry about it. :)
I do see an M.2 heatsink on the OP's board, covering the spot where my motehrboard sesnor is - so if it was there it might be picking up the drive temp or socket temp - but you are 100% correct - if we can't tell exactly what it's measuring then it's all a bit irrelevant....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
If you install HWMonitor it will give far better headings for motherboard sensors so you can see where that high temp is referencing.

For instance, if it’s the VRM’s then a high reading would be completely expected, again with the chipset / southbridge.
Yes good point @SpyderTracks. It might give more detail on the OP's board.

On mine it doesn't sadly - I just get the generic 'motherboard' temp which I believe is the PCB temperature in that specific area. No idea what use it is supposed to provide me I must say:

1620742506317.png

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Perhaps it is more limited on the lower end boards, i didn’t realise that.
I don't have a VRM sensor on my board so that's the main one that's missing, but I'd expect the OP's will still show a 'motherboard' value in HWInfo without extra detail on what it's actually measuring - even though the temperatures would seem to fit a VRM's temp profile. It's a shame that neither the ASUS site nor the OP's mobo manual give any detail on where that sensor might be.

But it's certainly worth a try running HWInfo anyway as you suggest I think. (y)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Actually it seems there is no VRM sensor on the OP's board either:

Random Linky

@jaydenrw98 - try downloading HWMonitor as @SpyderTracks suggests and see if you get more info - just for the fun really - as I don't think the answer will change the overall advice one way or the other.....

(EDIT - I use HWInfo but here is HWMonitor on my system - even less detail - so perhaps HWInfo might be better? - and that TMPIN4 value is an example of the garbage data you can get from third party programs too - that 93 deg C value has always been the same and never changes no matter what. 🤷‍♂️)

1620743327827.png