Mouse pad touch click

dansmyth88

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can turn my touch pads clicking capability off? I still want to be able to move the cursor, but can't stand the fact every time i brush across the mouse when i'm typing i'm suddenly halfway through another sentence. The two buttons i have underneath will do me just fine!

I've had a look through the settings in control panel and there seems to be no option i can find that does it. I've read that I may need certain drivers for the touch pad itself that allows me to change settings like that, if that's true can anyone help me with which ones I would need?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dan

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try Fn + F1. or Fn + escape to disable touchpad,failing that check the manual on supplied software disk.
You may need to install software like "Synaptics pointing device" or "hotkey" software from the disk supplied with the laptop for this to work.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A lot depends on what touchpad you have and whether you have the latest driver installed for it. Windows will drive most any touchpad on a very basic basis, but to get features like the one you're asking for require the proper driver to be installed.

If you do have the proper driver installed then click on Mouse in Control Panel and you'll be taken to the full set of touchpad controls. There are two features you should look for in there:

Ideally (like the Elan touchpad on my Optimus IV) there will be an option to turn the touchpad off when an external mouse is attached. That's what I have (and a USB mouse).

Failing that (or if you only use the touchpad and not an external mouse) then you need to look for a Palm Tracking option (or something similar). On my Elan it's under the additional options menu on the Elan section of the mouse controls. This is designed to eliminate accidental brushes as you type so you need to experiment with this setting. My Elan also has a touchpad sensitivity setting which you can also experiment with to reduce the problem you have. Most modern touchpads have a Palm Tracking and/or Sensitivity controls, but only if you have the proper driver installed. The basic Windows driver will not offer you these options.