Moving HDD/Installing GPU

PC Fanatic

Silver Level Poster
I just purchased an ASUS Radeon HD 7970 Matrix Platinum (£222 at Overclockers with 3 free games) and had a couple of questions related to the installation.

Moving HDD

My case is a CM Storm Enforcer, and in order to fit the card in the case, the top HDD cage needs to be removed. This entails moving the HDD to the lower cage. Is it as simple as removing the cables, unscrewing the drive, screwing it in the new bracket, and reconnecting the cables?

Installing GPU

When removing the old GPU, is the procedure simply removing the screws, unplugging the cables and pulling the card out of the PCIe socket? And the reverse when installing the new one?

Also, I have ordered a pair of anti-static gloves - I take it that is precaution enough with regard to handling the components?

Thanks.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My case is a CM Storm Enforcer, and in order to fit the card in the case, the top HDD cage needs to be removed. This entails moving the HDD to the lower cage. Is it as simple as removing the cables, unscrewing the drive, screwing it in the new bracket, and reconnecting the cables?
Yes :)
When removing the old GPU, is the procedure simply removing the screws, unplugging the cables and pulling the card out of the PCIe socket? And the reverse when installing the new one?
Try to also uninstall the gpu drivers of your previous card.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would say yes to all your questions,as long as you first uninstall driver for previous graphics card as mentioned by Keynes.

Last edited:

baron75mk2

Banned
If you don't mind me asking, how would I go about doing this?

Go to "Programs & features" & look for your graphics drivers in the list , they will either be Nvidia or AMD , double click the icon & run the uninstaller.

Just a bit of advice , every pci express slot i have dealt with has a locking tab located on the right hand side to secure the GPU to the board , make sure you either pull or push the tab open (witchever the case may be) before removal , definately dont want to just unscrew it & pull it out , you could damage the pci express slot :)

Deklore

Bright Spark
Also, I have ordered a pair of anti-static gloves - I take it that is precaution enough with regard to handling the components?

As long as you ground yourself you'll be fine. If you didnt have the gloves, an anti static band would do, otherwise just touching a metal object that is grounded e.g. a radiator.